Slow microwave ovens

[snip]

Microwave heating instructions usually say what power they're for. Most I've seen recently say 1 or 1.1KW. Maybe that's the normal for the new units.

BTW, I have a 700W microwave about 30 years old.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

The heating instructions are based on what is commercially available. If there were 2kW units around, they'd have those listed too, with shorter cooking times.

Reply to
William Gothberg
[snip]

Here, I use a kettle you put on the stove, and all the others are 120V.

Some kitchens have a 240V 40A outlet for a stove. Mine is built-in and hardwired.

Some older houses have 240V (15 or 20A) sockets (for window air conditioners).

Probably get by with a smaller unit.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I know of one house around here that has a 240V socket in a storage room in the yard. I think one of the former owners put it in for a welder. I know of a later owner who used it for a porcelain kiln.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

The first thing I heated in a microwave was frozen macaroni and cheese. The instructions said to cover it in plastic wrap. It didn't take me long to figure out that it was a really bad idea, consider trying to separate melted plastic from melted cheese.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Indeed, that cheap shit plastic melts in a 700W microwave oven. Or in any microwave oven, it can't handle boiling water, which inevitably you get from the food. And I bet it's rather toxic.

Reply to
William Gothberg
[snip]

My microwave doesn't have a turntable and seems to have no need for one.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

No, anyone who wants it ready more quickly. I buy the frozen pizza in the supermarket, place it in the microwave, then I can eat it in 4 minutes.

Why would you think pizzas shouldn't go in microwaves?! Every foodstuff can be cooked in a microwave.

Reply to
William Gothberg

I was thinking just tappings on a transformer.

Well if it doesn't like running at low power, then yes I guess cycling is better. Like an incandescent lightbulb sux at producing light at half voltage. You just get heat.

Eggs are unusual. Most foods aren't explosive.

I don't, I regularly heat soup on full power.

No need to make the user wait though! I'd have it switch off the turntable, lamp, and magnetron, then just run the cooling fan, like some cars do. It also means it's subtracting 15 seconds from your cooking time, which means you get the wrong cooking time.

Try xmas tree lights :-)

Reply to
William Gothberg

Plenty of food is much better cooked in other than a microwave. That includes pizzas, pies, leg of lamb, steaks, chops etc.

Microwaves do veg well and other stuff like rice and soup and even just tea and coffee hot water but with plenty of other stuff you get a better result with something different.

Reply to
dkol

Well, you *could* change the frequency to have the microwaves penetrate further, but then they would not cook food because the frequency is specifically tuned so that the photon energy of the microwaves corresponds to the primary molecular quantuum spin state of a water molecule.

Dkol is astute albeit curt on this matter.

Reply to
Mike_Duffy

Mine tend to blow up before that age. My last one decided to run continuously, I guess something shorted out when some condensed water got through the centre whatsit on the turntable. I was in a foul mood at the time and couldn't be bothered repairing it, since they're so common you can get them for free on freecycle.

Reply to
William Gothberg

It's actually a switching power supply, instead of the old heavy step up transformer, diode and capacitor system. And contrary to the other posters reply, there 'inverter' style microwave is NOT throttling the power going to the magnetron. It's still getting high voltage DC current, just like the original ones. It's better able to control the timing period for magnetron on/off cycles as well as independent control over the magnetrons required filament. the old step up transformer style fired the element with another tap on the secondary. so, if the transformer had power, both the filament and magnetron do too. No way to seperate them in that design.

You aren't lowering or raising the power to your magnetron when you adjust those cooking settings. All you're actually doing is telling the microwaves computer how long to leave the magnetron on for. Ie: how fast does it cycle the magnetrons power state. For the old heavy ones, non 'inverter', it's opening/closing a single pole relay that controls the input on the primary coil to the step up transformer. Your 'cooking' settings determine how long that relay stays open and closes for. That's all. Anytime it's closed, your magnetron (in your case) is kicking 800watts of microwave energy. You can't adjust that. What you can adjust is how long it's firing the energy into the cooking chamber.

Reply to
Diesel

Wrong.

Both styles actually take AC incoming mains, raise it to 5k or so, and convert it with a single diode mind you, to DC to feed the magnetron. The filament is fed by low voltage AC. Neither of them can or do vary the voltage going to the magnetron. That's just not how it works. You can't lower the voltage to reduce microwave energy. And you can't raise it to get more microwave energy, either. The magnetron requires voltage within a certain range to function. More than that will burn the magnetron up. Less will prevent it from making viable microwaves.

Reply to
Diesel

Sorry for your loss.

Reply to
Diesel

You only get what, 20-25 posts every 24 hours through that service, right? Why waste them here? :)

Reply to
Diesel

Hehehe.. Yea, it is. You'd think there wouldn't be a noticeable difference in 1000 vs 1100 too, but, there is.. You have to adjust cooking times for stuff accordingly. I have a totally destroyed burrito and super heating science lesson as a result of 100 watt difference; a measily 100 watt difference.

Reply to
Diesel

Thank you for your kind words. It was of course cancer. She had the works. Hysterectomy, chemo and radiotherapy. I think we both knew the inevitable outcome. The overworked staff at the hospital and the hospice were magnificent.

Quick rant. I begrudge giving money to nations that would not piss on us if we were on fire. The NHS is in crisis, spend our money here.

Mr Pounder Esquire

Yes you have to adjust the times. But it's not what I'd call noticeable as in "woah that food was ready quicker". For everything, I need a factor of 2 to be happy. A CPU that's twice as fast. A hard disk that's twice as big, a car with an engine with double the horsepower.

Reply to
William Gothberg

So what is the difference between inverter and non inverter types? Is 'inverter' an appropriate term? How do either control the power?

Reply to
Max Demian