Damp proof membranes, is it normal not to worry about holes in them?

I've been lookng at some FAQs and fitting details relating to SIPs supplied by a local supplier

As far as I can tell from this information it would seem that both the DPM under the floor and the breathable membrane between the panels and cladding are punctured by the fixings. The underfloor DPM seems to have fixing bolts through it and the breathable wall membrane is fixed using 'staples'.

Is this normal, it seems to rather defeat the object of using the membranes?

Reply to
Chris Green

I wouldn't worry about it ......

Reply to
Binkie Huckaback ...

They are there to top the passage of water vapour, not actual water & therefore are not totally waterproof.

Reply to
harry

I've been watching a lot of Holmes on Homes videos on youtube, pretty certain that in one he said that each puncture hole in the membrane lets through a cupful of water a year.

He rips out a lot of soggy mouldy rockwool.

He's canadian - they need insulation there summer and winter !

George

Reply to
George Miles

Info on the topic here.

harry

Sounds like a reason not to use rockwool in that particular scenario...

You can't rely on DPM being 100%. It needs to slow ingress to the point where what little makes it through can escape via other means.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Change proof to "control" & it makes more relative sense.

Slightly more troubling is 'bolts through the underfloor dpm...? How thick is the floor? Made of what?

Reply to
Jim K..

Is it murican? Some of it is well garbled.

"Spray foams may also act as a vapour barrier"

Mmm

Reply to
Jim K..