slimline radiators

I need a radiator about 1000 x 600mm that is as slim as possible to the wal l. Most of the radiators in the house are from before the fins appeared, an d are round top with no fins on the back. These are obviously not very effi cient for their size, but do not stick out much from the wall (from wall to front of radiator about 55mm). The K1 style radiators around seem to take at least 80mm and the brackets a re usually fixed to the back of the fins. Does anyone know of a particularly slimline radiator (not silly expensive d esigner ones) that can approach the style of my original radiators (fins or no fins). Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

If this is to replace a non-finned one, it might not need to be so large.

I have fitted some, but I don't have any here to measure.

claims 72mm from wall to face. (You can use the mounting bracket the other way around to get a larger spacing from the wall.)

A long term project is fitting one in a hall where I don't want any projection. There's a timber partition wall one side, and I have in mind to remove the face from one side of this wall, and recess the radiator into the wall. Probably need to fit a ply sheet recessed back as far as possible, and fix the radiator to that.

This has been on the to-do list for 12 years, so it may never happen.

There's another position where this could go, against a brick wall, and I had in mind to remove the plaster (which is very thick), put as thin a skin as possible, and recess into the resulting recess.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

all. Most of the radiators in the house are from before the fins appeared, and are round top with no fins on the back. These are obviously not very ef ficient for their size, but do not stick out much from the wall (from wall to front of radiator about 55mm).

are usually fixed to the back of the fins.

designer ones) that can approach the style of my original radiators (fins or no fins).

Well stelrad still do a P1 radiator (no fins) which is obviously a lot slim mer that other types (e.g. K1) but the mounting bracket holds it quite far off the wall (presumably to meet their heat output via airflow behind), so it's still 78mm wall to front face. My best bet to match the other radiator s in the house would be to use the brackets for the K1 with a P1 radiator a ssuming I could get them separately and they actually fit. I'd probably need to find a stelrad supplier and try out the idea before I bought them. Also, I could DIY some custom brackets. Obviously I would reduce heat output by mounting closer to the wall, but th e radiators throughout the house seem OK - would be not good for low temp o peration with a condensing boiler though ...

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

[...]

Well I forgot that the wall is dry lined, and I was going to cut some timbe r into the wall to mount the radiator brackets anyway. So I will get a Myso n round top K1 style radiator and recess the brackets into the wall so the fins are almost touching the wall. That should get me down to about 60mm pr ojection which will be perfect.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson