Sleeving the earth - my imagination?

As a corollary to my earlier thread, I have also seen white sleeving on the earth. I thought green was used before the present green and yellow. Was white ever used to represent earth?

Reply to
Scott

I think it was in at least one country, before harmonisation of colours, Germany used Red for earth

Reply to
charles

Was that country Scotland :-)

Reply to
Scott

Green then later green/yellow has always been the colour for a protective conductor (earth or bonding).

However you may find Cream colour insulation on functional earth[1] conductors (which are normally only found in comms and audio distribution circuits rather than power)

[1] Usually a "clean" earth for noise suppression purposes.
Reply to
John Rumm

And most RCBOs:-)

Reply to
ARW

Not as sleeving. See John's reply about functional earth colours.

Reply to
ARW

harry

Or for earth recall on switchboards or party lines.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Silly Sods!

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Maybe it was just a local thing. It could be ptfe sleeving of course. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Most likely someone just didn't have the right sleeving to hand.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I have found that white seems to colour used to earth appliances where there is heat, e.g. ovens.

Reply to
Broadback

I've found in the past that heat resistant green/yellow sleeving isn't stocked by my usual sources - eg TLC - so I confess to having used white.

Reply to
Robin