Skirting

Hoe do i get the angle for mitre joints in my hexagonal bay window ? I know you need a bevel and protractor, but is there a formula you use....? Help

Reply to
Andy

If it's a regular hexagon, each internal angle will be 120 deg - so you will need to cut your mitres at 60 degrees.

If it's any other angle, make a paper template to fit into a corner, measure the angle with a protractor, and divide it by 2.

Reply to
Set Square

Screw two pieces of thin timber strip together and use them as an angle finder.

Reply to
BigWallop

Using a formula is dangerous as the angles or lengths might not all be equal. Why don't you just set the bevel to the internal angle of the existing skirting? Then to get the angle of cut for the mitre, either measure this with the protractor and divide by 2, or (even easier) mark the bevel angle onto paper, cut it out and fold in half.

The formula for finding the internal angles of any _regular_ polygon is:

180° - (360° / No of sides)
Reply to
Peter Taylor

Follow the walls with two sets of parallel lines drawn on the floor. Where the lines intersect is the angle you want.

I use a couple of scraps of different section a 2", say and a 4" or 5". That will give me 2 parallel lines around each corner. A line drawn through the points where these sets meet will divide the corner equally. Put the bevel against a wall and open it to the bisecting line.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

It may be better to do a butt and scribe join, not a mitre. (Although you'll still need to cut one end at the required angle).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle