Socket under the floor?

Hello.

The most convenient place for me to keep my TV signal booster is under the floor in the room where the aerial cable comes into the house. Present arrangement involves this being plugged into a socket above the floor, with the cable going through a hole in the boards in an alcove.

This was a quick fix on moving into the house, but is not ideal when a visitor / child switches it off, ruining any radio or television recordings which are taking place...

Is it legal / safe to place a socket under the floor, screwed to a joist for example, to power such a device? Under my floor, there is enough space to crawl around, so ventilation is not a problem - it's the ground floor. Screwfix do a range of fairly rugged sockets, so this could protect against it being knocked in the dark.

I have easy access to the area under the floor, so there's no problem going down to replace / check the device if it fails - though I've never actually had one of these things break down.

thanks

Ewan

Reply to
Ewan MacIntyre

I would go for an all weather socket with a cover that fits over the plug top.

Reply to
BigWallop

What about hard wired to switched fused spur. Or even unswitched fused spur?

But I don't think the regs prohibit a spur in e,g, a cupboard or under a floor either.

Who would spot it anyay?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd use an FCU instead of a socket. You don't want the rats plugging in fan heaters down there in the winter.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle