Skimming plasterboard

Having lurked for a while, and read all the articles on plastering (and cracking) - I am now ready to take float in hand.

I have some plasterboard (around two new cupboards at Church) to skim ready for emulsion afterwards.

What sort of plaster - finishing? How thick - 2mm? How to prepare - water spray, PVA, or? Application - wet/sloppy/dry? How to prevent cracking?

Please point me at an FAQ if there is one, otherwise any good advice welcome!

Reply to
John

The best advice anyone in the know thats plastered is...

Don't do it...at least not in this weather,if you can put it off till the climate changes to a more cooler temp then plaster otherwise you will...

  1. work twice as hard.
2.have the plaster cracking/crazing.
  1. make a balls of it because the weather will get to you. When the weather drops make sure the room is cool if need be spray/slap some water on the walls a couple of times to cool them.
Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Trowel, not float ;-) Floats are wood (or plastic nowadays). Trowels are steel.

Yes, either plasterboard plaster or multi-finish plaster.

Two coats, 1 - 1.5mm each. You can do plasterboard with just a single coat, but probably not the first time you've ever plastered.

Nothing is required on plasterboard -- it's intended to be used as-is.

Wet -- should slide off the trowel if you turn it vertical.

Where? on the plasterboard joins (if you have any), make sure the board is well fixed anoth each edge so they can't move relative to each other, and run scrim tape down the join embedded in the first coat. Cracking can also be caused by putting finish coat on too thick.

I haven't done a plastering one, but searching back on google will find plenty of plastering articles in this newsgroup.

BTW -- don't try plastering for the first time when it's this hot. Wait until it's around 20C or the plaster will set too fast for a first-timer.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That was supposed to say "We haven't done a plastering one..."

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It sounded like you were volunteering...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Thanks for all the advice (and the excuse to leave it a few weeks until it is cooler - I might even knock up a bit of board in the garage and "play" first!

John

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

Reply to
John