Ski wax solvent

anybody know what will dissolve a hard ski wax - and then obviously evaporate away leaving the wax when applied?

Ron

Reply to
Big Ron

Not sure if this will do for waht you want .Do you mean to soften wax so you can apply it .?? Why is it hard ...??

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

Thanks Stuart; You get different grades of wax for differing snow conditions - hard wax for dry new powder snow etc. I just want to eliminate the messing about with a hot iron to apply the wax that's all...

Big Ron

Can't you get spray on wax .??

Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

But, but -- that's part of the mystique! If you don't want the bother, then why not buy waxless ski? (The iron does not only soften the wax, it encourages flow into the material of the ski; I doubt any solvent would do as well. )

Douglas de Lacey.

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

You need the hot application, else you get a very short wax lifetime. Rub-on waxes are OK for refilling over lunch, but they don't last anything like as well as a hot waxing.

If you're looking for wax solvents for ski waxes, then anything will do it - white spirit is probably simplest (google for techniques in making it - I've got my own pages up on doing it for furniture polishes). Even easier though is to just buy a soft paste wax, such as a bulk floor wax. I wouldn't do this on snow, but it's pretty important for dry slopes.

Reply to
Andy Dingley