Skanky insulation

I've been messing about in the ceilings in the upstairs flat at work this week, sorting some lighting out.

There's insulation up there, looks like fibreglass stuff, some of it looks like it came on a thick roll, other areas it's in sort of long polythene pillows.

Is this stuff a cause for concern? It looks like it would be best avoided. Should I glove/mask up?

Reply to
R D S

Assuming it's fibreglass it's irritant but not carcinogenic. Unlike asbestos.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I would wear a decent mask (FP3?) or you will have a cough for a few days. Gloves if you are easily irritated.

Reply to
dennis

If it's in commercial premises consult the asbestos register. If you cannot locate the register or identify the insulation, barrier off access and arrange for analysis.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Well the standard answer if its back to the 1970s is definitely, or you will be scratching for days.

Have a bath and wash all clothing afterwards if possible I'd say. The old stuff on a roll was evil. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

My experience is that the old fibre glass insulation of 20 years ago is evil[1] and rock wool a lot less evil. I tend to wear a nose/mouth mask if I have to work where there is insulation. With fibre glass I wear disposable gloves and long sleeve clothing but the fibres always seem to get embedded in the clothes and puncture the skin, and as you say, result in much scratching.

[1] Currently in my loft I also have some fibre glass insulation sausages that have shinny silver plastic wrappers. Handling these is ok as long as the plastic doesn't split. They are ideal for wrapping around a water tank etc.
Reply to
alan_m