Siting a woodburning stove

In message <rb7nfa$1l21$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, at 09:36:58 on Wed, 3 Jun

2020, Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk> remarked:

The children only touch it once. Part of their education.

Reply to
Roland Perry

There's been a fire in our cottage ever since it was built. Now the flames are contained in a metal box, and the exhaust goes up an insulated pipe, it's probably at less risk.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

yep

The farm manager who farms the land around me, is also the fire chief ....99% of the thatch fires are from old chimneys that are unlined with blown pointing.

a very few are from chimney fires that shoot sparks up and have them landing on the thatch itself. Usually the thatch is too damp in winter when that happens. But blown pointing allows hpt gases out over long periods and dries the thatch.

If when you re thatch you put fireproof board down and line all chimneys and push the pots to about 1.5m above the thatch then you are probably safer than a traditional fire in a normal building.

*I had the outer wall of a London Flat glowing red hot from an open fire....back in the day.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

things

Reaching out and touching is one thing, <ouch><quickly retracts hand>

but small children aren't that steady on their feet and may wobble putting out a hand to steady themselves. A hand that cannot be retracted quickly and may have some weight behind it...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

that's why some sort of fireplace surround is advisable

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The outer casing is really rather hot. Even a glancing touch can be a second degree burn. Your approach is far too Darwinian in this case.

Reply to
Martin Brown

We used to have cherry-red coke-burning pot-belly stoves in some classrooms at school, never did us any harm (same can't be said for the rubber soles of our shoes though)

Reply to
Andy Burns

It is powered by the thermal gradient between the very hot top of the stove and the merely warm air above it. TEC = Thermo Electric Cooler A pedant might insist that I should have said Peltier device.

In this application they are run backwards to convert a thermal gradient into electric current which powers a small fan moving air across a finned heatsink.

Unless you habitually live on your ceiling it makes quite a useful contribution to providing warm air in the bulk of the room as opposed to slowly filling the room with very hot air from the ceiling downwards.

Reply to
Martin Brown

In message snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net>, at

11:40:01 >

They'll be careful not to wobble near to such a heat source in future.

Reply to
Roland Perry

The Gazco gas fires with balanced flues are claimed to be nearly

90% efficient. But you need an expensive flue.
Reply to
Andrew

Only if you have installed a silly decorative fuel effect fire. One of those daft things with flames bouncing on a bed of sand (and needing a class 1 chimney).

Reply to
Andrew

Not only for the young. An unsteady person of any age tripping or falling towards a log-burning stove which has no wire guard risks not only a bad burn, but possible fractures. Stoves are essentially unmovable and have quite sharp edges at the sort of height a falling body would contact. We put up a guard for the grandchildrens' sake, but I'm tending towards leaving it in place.

Reply to
Jeff Layman