Simplest, cleanest way to clean gloss

I have to redecorate my 10' 6" high living room. What is the least messy way to clean gloss paintwork prior to repainting in the same colour? I reely reely don't want to have to lift the fitted carpet so sloshing about with copious liquids is out.

Reply to
Jim S

Detail sander with a 3-400 grit paper. Vacuum cleaner on the vacuum port. Using oil-based Gloss: 1 coat of undercoat, 2 coats of gloss.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Sugar soap solution. Wring out the cloth well and work carefully perhaps?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

No need. Clean with a damp micropore cloth. when the cloth is dirty (which will be surprisingly frequently) wash it in soapy water and rinse it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Any bits that need sanding, use wet and dry and have a bowl of water to rinse it in regularly. Wipe down afterwards with plain water.

I have never decided whether it is better to use sugar soap before or after. So my rule of thumb is to use it before if the paint is obviously dirty. And after if the paint was fairly clean.

Reply to
Rod

I wonder if sugar soap serves any purpose at all unless your paintwork is covered in something particularly greasy.

Reply to
stuart noble

I am not sure either. With oil-based paint - maybe not. With water-based I am fairly convinced it does if there is any grease on the surface. But I could be convinced either way by a proper experiment. For the price, I'll stick with it until then.

Reply to
Rod

If you're painting it in the same colour then it doesn't require anything other than a light sanding, followed by an undercoat (if it has drastically yellowed or changed colour) and gloss.

Personally I would simply gloss over it as it is.

Reply to
Phil L

And I'll stick with micropore cloths.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Reminds me of a chap who pointed to the paint tin and said "look, it says 'covers all crap'". It does. OTOH too much dirt and the adhesion can be affected, so if its mucky a cloth with very hot water & cream cleaner works well. As do various suggestions made

NT

Reply to
meow2222