"Simple" lighting question!

I hate to have to ask this as I'm sure the answer is very obvious but unfortunately I appear to have forgotten all the lessons from school on basic electrical circuits (my teachers would be proud).

I am planning to install 3 downlights on a single switch and I cannot work out (remember!) how to wire them. Should they be in series or in parallel?

Cheers, Sam

Reply to
Sam Dickinson

"Sam Dickinson" wrote ... | I hate to have to ask this as I'm sure the answer is very obvious | but unfortunately I appear to have forgotten all the lessons from | school on basic electrical circuits (my teachers would be proud). | I am planning to install 3 downlights on a single switch and I | cannot work out (remember!) how to wire them. Should they be in | series or in parallel?

Parallel.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Thanks. I knew it would be easy

Reply to
Sam Dickinson

There's a lot more you need to know too. You must ensure you have the right cable and know how to make the joints and comply with all the regulations. Given your earlier question, I'd strongly recommend getting a good book on the subject and reading it, so you know all the implications. I've heard many people recommend the Which Guide, although I haven't seen it myself.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I've already got the "Big Red Reader Digest Book" which is extremely good ( and usually very comprehensive). However, sadly it doesn't mention anything about 2 bulbs on a single lighting spur. However, you can rest assured that it's got everything else about cables, junction boxes, circuit ratings etc. So I promise I won't blow myself up ;-)

Reply to
Sam Dickinson

The trouble is that the question you've asked is such a basic one as to question your ability to do even simple electrical work. Everything electric (like a bulb) is clearly marked with its voltage and current consumption, and 240 volts should tell anyone that intends doing any wiring that it isn't wired in series. I'm not suggesting you need a comprehensive knowledge of electricity theory or practice to do simple things - just the very basics.

Reply to
Dave Plowman