Question about fire doors

I've just been told that a doorway from a house into a garage doesn't need an intumescent strip, only 25mm stops; is this correct? Is there any (legal) way I can use a narrower stop on the "handle" side of the frame?

Dave S

Reply to
Dave

I guess your problemis that the handle touches the frame. you can get deep lockas so the handle is further into the door. You need to shop arround.

If you have a "fire door frame" with the grove for the strip, I would add it in anyway.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Is there any way to define a fire door?

I ask, as I have a little job as a school site supervisor and the teachers do not appear to understand the logic of propping open a fire door or two :-(( Most of the doors in the school could be reckoned to be fire doors, but the majority do not have the expanding strip around then, just evidence of having had a sticker saying 'Fire Door, Keep Closed.'

TIA

Dave

Reply to
Dave

"Dave" wrote | Is there any way to define a fire door?

A door that complies with the relevant BS and is intended to hold back fire for the specified duration to provide separation between fire compartments.

| I ask, as I have a little job as a school site supervisor | and the teachers do not appear to understand the logic of | propping open a fire door or two :-((

Put it on record to the HM (i.e. CYA) that there is a breach of H&S legislation.

Suggest that automatic door releases with local smoke detection are fitted so that doors can be held open to facilitate passage, but close automatically in the event of fire.

And suggest that the children should be taught some basic fire safety so they don't let teachers wedge the doors open.

| Most of the doors in the school could be reckoned to be fire | doors, but the majority do not have the expanding strip around | then, just evidence of having had a sticker saying 'Fire Door, | Keep Closed.'

They probably fulfil the very important function of impeding the spread of smoke and reducing the availability of combustion oxygen, but are not intended to withstand actual fire.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

compartments.

Rest of very useful info snipped.

Many thanks for your input to this Owain. I will try and rattle a cage or two in the next few days :-))

Dave

Reply to
Dave