silencing a pump

Until such time that we can save up for a mains pressure tank/thermal store/heat bank or just a better make of pump, we're making do with a shower pump to feed our showers & boost our HW flow to the rest of the house.

What are the best methods of silencing the existing pump? It's currently in the bottom of an airing cupboard next to the tank. Moving it isn't really an option. Whilst the cupboard doors fit well enough, there are fixed vents in the door. I could build an enclosure though. Any suggestions for materials, lining, sealing around pipes etc?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

first there are simple mthods like rubber mountings, pipe lagging, turn speed down. Then more effective is a box lined witha damping material such as carpet. Re pipe entry, you might use pipe collars screwed to the wood box. No need to be sealed, jsut get the gaps very small. I've used the damped box approach elsewhere and the result is massive noise reduction. You'd proably get less due to the pipes transmitting the vibration out.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

n which case, how about adding a flexible either side of the pump?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote

Don't they need to be allowed to cool IYSWIM?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

It's already got those.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

It's not a continuously rated pumped and it does "die" occasionally when the thermal cutout kicks in. I guess it would cause it to heat up faster than normal but whether that's a problem in practice won't be clear until I try it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Rubber mount it to start with

Then box it in plasterbaoard.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If noise is being transmitted (or amplified) by the floor the standard technique is to cut a piece of paving slab and stand the pump on that. (Last one I did I put some resilient stuff under the slab, too).

Reply to
YAPH

In my last house I mounted the pump of a carefully cut peice of paving stone in bottom or airing cupboard to reduce the pump noise.

In current house I placed the pump on a stack of 5 peices of carpet, tack no nailed together at the corners, to kill the noise, this was for a Techflow pump.

Even better was replacing the pump from Techflow to Stuart Turner (Techflow wanted £70 for new seals !!!) which, whilst a tad expensive is significantly quieter in same location and produces a real "skin ripper" of a shower it one is not careful. Just wish I had bought the Stuart Turner in the first place...... My brother has one and it is over 10years old now and still going fine..

Reply to
Ian_m

That's something I'll consider when the current pump dies. Good to know that the pumps are actually quieter. Meanwhile, I realised today that the pump was running when the washing machine was running. Not what I'd want with the pump near our bedroom. Fortunately, easy enough to convert the washing machine to cold fill. (Waste of time filling with hot anyway it's so far from the tank).

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie