Pump to increase water pressure to bathroom.

I had a bathroom completely refitted about 3 years ago. After the job was d one, the flow at the taps, showerhead etc was significantly reduced. The gu y who did the work told me that the old, wide fittings were no longer avail able. Of course, this was bullshit. It takes an age to fill the bath and th e shower is *just* adequate on full bore.
Is there any virtue in fitting a pump to the bathroom supply only?
On Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 8:58:09 AM UTC+1, True Blue wrote:

done, the flow at the taps, showerhead etc was significantly reduced. The guy who did the work told me that the old, wide fittings were no longer ava ilable. Of course, this was bullshit. It takes an age to fill the bath and the shower is *just* adequate on full bore.

I'm on gravity feed.
Well I've seen it done right enough, but whether it will work in your case depends on where the bottleneck is I suppose. Brian
--
----- --
On 24/07/2018 08:59, True Blue wrote:

Potentially, yes, but there are complications. Is the shower on a mixer tap off the bath? If so you need to pump both hot and cold. But, when you are putting hot only into the bath (or sink) then the cold water pump is running with no flow, I don't know how well they cope with that.
I have a separate shower room with its own supply of hot and cold. I have a single Stuart Turner in the loft that feeds the bathroom (and kitchen) hot water. And a second double headed ST for the shower.
On Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 9:27:25 AM UTC+1, newshound wrote:

was done, the flow at the taps, showerhead etc was significantly reduced. T he guy who did the work told me that the old, wide fittings were no longer available. Of course, this was bullshit. It takes an age to fill the bath a nd the shower is *just* adequate on full bore.

The shower's separate from the bath. It's really only the hot which is a pr oblem. The hot to my en suite (which is on the same level) is fine.
True Blue wrote:

But if you boost the pressure to the hot side, you need to do the same to the cold side, or the shower will be difficult/impossible to control temperature.
On 24/07/2018 09:53, True Blue wrote:

That suggests an obstruction or a kink in the pipe. Is the pipe 22mm or 15mm?
I also suggest you measure flow rates with both the en suite and bathroom. ie how long to fill a 5gal bucket or a container of a known size.
On 24/07/2018 09:27, newshound wrote:

They cope ok IME... Even with a mixer shower you want want it running at near cold or near hot - so only with significant flow on ones side.
The pumps are designed such that they can "slip" - i.e. they don't hydraulic lock if you block off flow on one impeller.

I have done a 2.2 bar ST dual pump feeding a bath and separate shower. It worked for both shower and bath.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 24/07/2018 08:59, True Blue wrote:

Can you raise the tank?
Cheers
--
Clive

True Blue wrote:

If you've got room for a pump in the base of the airing cupboard,
e.g <https://www.screwfix.com/p/salamander/2502t
give it dedicated feed from cold tank in loft, and a dedicated feed from the hot tank using a surrey/warix/essex/tech flange
If you han't got room at base of airing cupboard there are alternative "negative head" pumps depending on location.
On 24/07/2018 08:59, True Blue wrote:

And he has fitted continental taps which are designed for direct mains connection. He knew this would be a problem.
you'll need a pump that drives cold and hot feeds from the airing cupboard, probably fitted in the airing cupbaord.
Then send the bill to the first bloke. If he procrastinates, just go after him in the small claims court, doesn't cost much.
On 24/07/18 14:09, Andrew wrote:

We recently had a new bathroom fitted (my days of such major jobs are behind me).
Part of the refit was an Aqualisa Shower. It has a pump which can go in the loft, under the bath, ...... Our has a gizmo to divert the output to a 'rain head' or one of those hose head things. The bit in the shower is just a switch, there is a cable to the pump/control box which has hot and cold 'low pressure' feeds from the respective tanks. The output is, in my view, all you could want but not variable for pressure- just temp.
We are delighted with it, so much so the plan is to have another one fitted in our ensuite which currently has an Electric 'instant' mains pressure shower.
Our refit was complicated by the fact the bathroom had mains pressure cold water and gravity hot. The fitter ran pipes for the new shower- quite a run due to the layout of the house.
On 24/07/2018 08:58, True Blue wrote:

Blaming the fittings seems a bit odd. I can't see how, all other things being equal, the supply is that much lower. Does the toilet fill at roughly the same rate?
If the supply (indirect tank) wasn't affected I'd suggest taking a look at the isolation valves. Might be they weren't turned 'on' fully.
--
Cheers, Rob

On 24/07/2018 12:04, RJH wrote:

Or reduced bore isolation valves were used instead of full-bore.
SteveW
Steve Walker wrote:

or 15mm pipe for the low pressure hot, instead of 22mm?

Unlikely the guy who did the work didn’t think of that.
On Tuesday, 24 July 2018 08:58:09 UTC+1, True Blue wrote:

done, the flow at the taps, showerhead etc was significantly reduced. The guy who did the work told me that the old, wide fittings were no longer ava ilable. Of course, this was bullshit. It takes an age to fill the bath and the shower is *just* adequate on full bore.

or you could troubleshoot the install. Would make more sense surely.
NT
On 24/07/2018 08:58, True Blue wrote:

What fittings has he used? Is it copper all the way to the taps or have flexi pipes with a bore of perhaps 10mm been used for the last part? Any isolation/maintenance valves been fitted? If so are they full bore and/or have they been fully opened.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

True Blue wrote:

I fitted one to the hot water supply to the shower/bath, and it's been working very well for a few years now. Missus wanted a mixer tap/shower thing, and I didn't know at the time that gravity feed would only push a trickle of water through it (although I believe that there are low-pressure mixers out there). Worse, the mains pressure can actually push cold water backwards and up into the header tank.
So I fitted a pump to the hot water only (the cold mains supply has more than enough pressure). I discovered that the problem of pushing water backwards still exists (if you turn it to cold, open the tap, and move it to the hot side) because the pump only works when its flow switch detects hot water going through it in the normal direction. So I fitted a flow switch (fortunately, the pump already has contacts for this purpose) into the cold supply, so now the pump pumps (or attempts to) the hot water even when only the cold water is flowing.
So, probably not a setup that anyone would recommend if doing it all from scratch; but now I have something that works very well for me.
On Tuesday, 24 July 2018 08:58:09 UTC+1, True Blue wrote:

done, the flow at the taps, showerhead etc was significantly reduced. The guy who did the work told me that the old, wide fittings were no longer ava ilable. Of course, this was bullshit. It takes an age to fill the bath and the shower is *just* adequate on full bore.

Your problem is that you employed a cowboy. None of these problems should have happened. The cause of this will need to be established and put right. Pumps should not be needed.