Parch marks - anything interesting ?

Our front lawn is showing a couple of very interesting lines.

One I knew about - it's a previous path that was moved and grassed over.

But the other is new in 16 years here .... looks like a sewer ? It's clipping the corner of the property (we live on a corner so have 2 lawns at right angles.

Have snapped some pics with rulers and markers for future reference.

Anyone else finding things appearing.

Wish I had a drone to get a full overview.

When we had the really cold snap, a very faint line appeared in our back garden which from it's orientation with the house, and a drain, I'm guessing is another sewer.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

In message , Jethro_uk writes

Lots here:-) There are *weeper* pipes for the old dairy waste water, drain runs to soaks, soil pipes to the old septic tank. They haven't shown anything unexpected yet.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

IN 1978, neighbour in one of terrace of five noticed a large brown rectangular patch almost exactly 8x4. Builders had left a sheet of one inch chipboard in the middle of the front garden (along with all the builders detritus), then levelled out with topsoil and rolled turf over it.

Reply to
Andrew

Jethro_uk formulated on Tuesday :

There is a pond I dug and later filled in with kids around. Not very distinct, but the rest of the grass is parched apart where the pond used to be..

I know where our drains and sewers are, but nothing showing where they are. They are maybe too deep, were put in too long ago and there has been a lot of disturbance since then.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Have you seen the BBC photos of some places?

ARW

We have a whole load of rectangular parch marks on the lawn to the rear of the Farm House, there must have been quite a cluster of buildings there over the years. There has been a dwelling here since around 1650 so no great surprise to be honest. Call for Time Team :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Which was consistently one of the best things on TV. Perfect formula. Absolutely no need to change. So inevitably they did. Then acted all surprised when viewers turned off in droves.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

You filled a pond in with kids? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think we all spotted that one, Brian, let sleeping dogs lie and pretend it's just a normal everyday event.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Reply to
Robin

Not here but a few miles away where the missus grew up she noticed the outline of some buildings appearing on a patch of land that in the 60 years she has known it has been open ground. Looked up old OS maps via the National library of Scotland for various years and nothing was shown. However during WW2 we know there was a bombing range in the area and so followed that line of enquiry and got a result. When the range was set up some of the personnel who were sent to erect the miles of fencing and then remain there to secure the range were accommodated in Huts located right where these marks have appeared. As they were only yards from a pub it cannot have been too bad a posting.

. They were removed once hostilities were over. Few people around now who would remember them ,Father in Law who would have is no longer around and it looks like they went before the OS came around again and updated their maps.

The bombing range was this one

Still quite a lot on the ground to see, though as the ?U Boat Pen? was covered over after the war you can almost be on top of it before you notice some concrete breaking through the soil.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Don't forget to feed and water it, we don't want the RSPCA being involved, the goat may not survive.

Reply to
dennis

One line I must dig in to out of curiosity. I suspect a drain, nothing interesting.

There's a pond where the outhouse was (the old pond was filled in, partly with the spoil from the new one... why did he bother?) and the house hasn't moved for 300 years, so nothing else.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris