Shredder

which shreds everything you put in.

started 2nd pull when I had it going last weekend.

I've got a Mighty Mac too. Brilliant. Usually, I use the chopper chute with the chunky stuff and my wife uses the leaf chute for finer stuff. This week she dropped a pair of secateurs into the chute by mistake. It shredded them nicely.

Reply to
Lawrence

That one looks as though it will create its own access.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Indeed - I could shred the buildings and leave the shrubs and trees.

Reply to
PeterC

Seems fairly authoritative. I have an Alko with a rotating cog. Had it ten years or so and it is still going strong - modulo a replacement casting which cracked a couple of years ago.

Reply to
Andrew May

Thanks - useful info there.

Reply to
PeterC

For some time I have had, and been very pleased with, an Alko SP5000, cog type. It has recently needed the capacitor replacing, but that was reasonably easy and inexpensive.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I am allowed to use the metal bandsaw and milling machine and lathe, now that the previous workshop manager died.

Reply to
MattyF

ICBW, but I got an impression that Alko is rebadged Bosch(?)

Reply to
PeterC

Was he attacked with an angle grinder?

Reply to
dennis

Run over by a tram, more like.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Heart attack, possibly brought about by his failure to get rid of me despite getting me to use the 9 inch angle grinder, climb 12 foot ladders and lifting a full size anvil up on to its stand using an ingenious method that I refused to divulge (several 8 ton tram jacks).

Reply to
MattyF

What do you class as 'full size'? A 1 cwt London pattern anvil, which is the largest I have ever needed to use, I would simply lift onto its stand by squatting down, putting one arm under the bick, one under the hanging end and straightening my legs.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Did he ever utter those immortal words "over my dead body" when referring to use of the machines?

Reply to
John Rumm

The anvil is too heavy for me to lift one end. If it doesn't have a weight marked on it, how can I measure its weight? I don't have a big spring balance. My bathroom scales require me to stand on them for a second to set zero and are too horrible to use. I suppose I could make a sort of see-saw balance and put known weights on the other end.

Reply to
MattyF

Assuming it is London pattern, how long is it from the tip of the bick to square end? A 112lb anvil would be 22 5/8 inches. If it is 40 inches long, it weighs 560lbs. That I would struggle to lift by hand. :-)

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Measure is volume and use the density of cast iron to work it out.

Reply to
dennis

I've got a table of size v weight for London pattern anvils, so I can tell from the overall length.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

What's the heaviest one weigh - just out of interest?

Reply to
Tim Watts

5 cwt, although I've never seen anything bigger than 1 cwt.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

At the other end of the scale: