Shower waste problem

My son's shower is leaking and water dripping though the ceiling below. I have traced it to a problem with the waste leaking when someone is standing in the shower (it doesn't leak when just pouring water in with no one in the shower). Plastic shower base of course! The base is flush with the floor. Is there anyway of repairing this without removing the shower base or cutting through the ceiling? Thanks

Reply to
chudford

I would not be too hopeful but it depends where the leak is.

If the base is cracked and the cracked "opens" when someone stands in the shower, then I'd say only replacement would give practical fix.

If there is a leak between the base and the sides, sealing with silicone should be OK. Clean the old stuff out and stand in the shower while applying the new stuff.

If there is a leak around the waste in the base (where you can see) and it is the type you can undo from above, you may be able to undo and reseal.

Anything else and I think you are stuck with removal.

(I'm assuming you are sure is from the actual shower and not from "splashing" past the shower curtain or door onto the normal floor then leaking through.)

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay.

After I fitted mine (non-replaceable waste with inaccessible nut underneath) the nut must have jumped a thread because a gap opened up betweeh the shower tray and the waste fitting. While I wasn't particularly confident of success, I decided to "have a go" rather than have the hassle of taking the tray out. I got everything as clean and dry as I could. Used a wire hook to pull the fitting up to maximise the gap. I think I probably twisted loo roll into a string and fed it through the gap and poked it down to provide a temporary seal between the waste and the tray. Then I mixed up some araldite, and heated up the metal waste with a hot air gun before feeding the araldite down the gap until it was full, then pushed the trap down leaving a tidy "weld bead" of araldite between the trap flange and the tray. Somewhat to my surprise, this has been fine for the best part of 20 years.

Reply to
newshound