Shower vs Bath

When I bath, I spend 40 mions+ reading a book. Bliss.

If I haven;t go 40 mins, I use the shower. Cant turn it full up - water everywhere. Just enough to wash. Uses a couple of pints.

Now the BIG walk in shower..is a different matter,.. Uses gallons!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Hilde Hendrickx, a behavioural scientist in Unilever's R&D department, said that the company decided to carry out the survey because "quite a large proportion of our (products') environmental impact occurred when people used them".

No shit Sherlock!! :-)

Reply to
Pete

No combi here, H/W tank here with stat set higher than most, if running a bath (rare) I like it within a few mm of overflowing, often run out of hot.

If taking a shower the pump often sucks the cold tank dry before I run out of hot, that is for "the works" ... shampoo, shave, pits&bits ... even a face scrub if I'm looking particularly scaly!

Anyway that is all far too touchy-feely for uk.d-i-y, this morning I had "the works", left the plug in the bath, and it was about 2/3 full by the end, so decided the tepid water might as well lurk there gently warming up the room ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not sure that is true...

Most shower pumps are less than 3 bar, and most mains supplies are equal or better.

Reply to
John Rumm

Which basically says, if you use lots of showers, don't go for an electric one.

Yup I was commenting on the money / energy numbers rather than the shower duration or water quantity which sound more plausible.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes I noticed they had a Dr Dribble style 80 litre bath ;-)

Indeed...

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes agreed.

So much for advocating waste water heat recovery etc.

You may have to share it!

Reply to
John Rumm

With many modern baths, even full to the overflow is not actually that full due to the level they put the overflow.

Yup, could get that problem at the previous house prior to ditching the stored hot water system. The mains flow to the header tank could not keep up with the demand.

Reply to
John Rumm

In the interests of science, I volunteer to sit in the bathroom at Newnham College with a clipboard :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

'tis bollocks for my shower: 3 min., 0.25kWh and ~7.5 li of water, most of the year. Increases by ~25% when changing level in the Autumn and also in the Summer when it's too hot on minimum.

Reply to
PeterC

Same problem when I upgraded to a Stuart Turner, but doubling up the ballcock sorted it.

Reply to
Newshound

Utter cack from some po-faced miserablist. I'll take whatever kind of shower I like for as long as I want. It's my water and my energy. Why can't these people f*ck off and mind their own damn business?

Reply to
Huge

Dispute what the Ministry of Truth tells us about the environment? Never!

Reply to
Huge

I have my bath overflow bunged up with blu tack so I can get it right up to the top.

Reply to
R D S

I think it's total cobblers. There's no reason to spend more than five minutes in the shower, which would result in minimal water use. This was done forty years ago - I distinctly recall the verdict then was that showers were much better for the environment (dear gawd, I'm actually using that phrase) regarding power usage. Of course, that was when most people with showers had them plumbed from a hot cyl and such things as power showers were relatively rare, so today's self-indulgent generation are quite possibly spending fart too long in there and wasting much water at too high a rate.

Reply to
grimly4

I'll let you both share mine.

Reply to
grimly4

Had to do a partial obstruction on a previous corner bath - used some of that locktite plumbing repair putty.

Reply to
John Rumm

Some bozo on a Beeb programme was waffling on about showers and useage - he ran he shower for the full time and read the meter! I just timed a shower and, knowing that it was on 3.75kW, had worked out the energy in a few seconds. For the water, stopwatch and 1 li jug. Precision isn't important as both figures are slightly variable due to voltage and pressure.

Reply to
PeterC

I used bits of silicon sealant that had set in the nozzle. Was okay till I had a sneezing fit and caused a mini Tsunami over the bath edge onto the floor.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

And when the gf joins you in the bath and displaces even more water?

Reply to
ARWadsworth