Shower safety valve?

Turned the shower on this morning, and water is coming out of a clear pipe right next to the main outlet pipe. When the shower head is lowered, it lessens off and stops (unless the flow rate is increased).

What's broken (or blocked), and is it fixable?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith (UK)

Also, It does it when the heater is on and when it is off.

Reply to
bobsmith652

When we had a similar thing (with a Triton shower) it was a safety overpressure cutout that had gone (just a diaphragm that ruptures). Had to get a replacement from their spares dept for the whole main heating unit and practically dismantle the whole thing to fit it. Luckily it was only a month old so they sent us it for free..

Reply to
PC Paul

it's the safety pressure switch thingy i.e a piece of poly thet breaks down. can replaced easily

Reply to
winker

If they still stock them for my shower. It's a Triton T70i.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith (UK)

phone Triton Spares direct on 024 7637 2222 (Mon-Thu 8-6, Fri

8-5, Sat 9-1).

(Thanks to TLC for having the info easily to hand)

Reply to
PC Paul

I had the same problem with a Triton shower from Wickes. I went to our local store, Wickes of Broadstairs, and asked they had a spare anti-scald device. I was told that they don't stock spares, but that I could use their 'phone to call Triton's spares service, which I did at about 3:30 PM on a Friday, and ordered the part, thinking it would probably be a week or more before it arrived. Imagine my surprise and delight when it arrived at about 10AM on the following day!

I have felt guilty ever since that I didn't publish my admiration of Messrs Wickes's, and the Royal Mail's, efficiency. Please accept a big THANK YOU BOTH!

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Surely, more praise due to Tritons spares dept, who I have always found to be very, very good.

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton

So too is Mira's.

Reply to
Ian White

Thanks for that. I have just ordered one.

Any tips on fitting one? Looking at the diagrams, it seems to be hidden in the can assembly somewhere...

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith (UK)

It's about 15 years ago I did it... I recall taking the thing apart and reassembling it without anything more complicated than a Phillips screwdriver and a pair of pliers... no soldering, sealants or that sort of thing involved.

Remember to turn the power and water off to it first ;-)

Reply to
PC Paul

Is just switching the red switch outside the bathroom safe?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith (UK)

Sounds like a double-pole isolator, in which case yes. As long as nobody else is likely to switch it back on! (It *should* be an isolator to meet the regs).

If you aren't sure, then in all likelihood there is a dedicated MCB (switch) in the main fusebox for the shower as well. It'll be a big one - 30A or 45A.

Reply to
PC Paul

It arrived today (ordered yesterday) - I say "it", but they sent a pack of 2 with an instruction sheet. Basically a 10 minute job - Take the front off, undo 2 screws, pull the pipe assembly out, and swap the thing at the top of the clear pipe.

The valve is a small rubber coated plastic ball inside a plastic tube. I did find a small plastic ball floating around, so I put the old one in first just for laughs. It was OK, until I turned the pressure up, when it popped again. Must be a combination of the new shower head / riser (less/smaller holes = more pressure) and old PRD (softened rubber on the ball?) because the new one worked fine at full blast with the new shower head..

I also took the opportunity to put the power neon back on the front casing where it belongs. I wondered why there was an orange glow near the outlet when it was on. Didn't think the can got that hot...

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith (UK)