Shower's pressure relief device has operated.

I've just moved into a new (for me) house only to find that water is pouring out of the bottom of the electric shower - a Gainsborough 8.5kW model. The previous owners have gone on holiday and Gainsborough Showers are closed for the weekend. There's still enough water getting through to have a shower so there's no hygiene emergency.

It seems the pressure relief device has operated because if I remove the shower head the water comes only through the pipe.

Are these devices one-shot or is there a way of resetting it?

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Well I don't quite understand your logic. That suggest to me that the shower head has something to do with the problem, choked maybe?

If you can't find manual downloads from the manufacturer's website a selection of downloads are available on Screwfix. The Triton manual makes it clear you should isolate the shower until you have tyaken proper advice.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

My logic is that the extra back pressure caused by the head is causing the problem. The head isn't blocked and a new head hasn't cured the problem.

I have the manual and it says ring Gainsborough's service number. I did this and they said they were closed until Monday

Thanks for the reply

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

The pressure relief device is very sensitive on these models and will operate if someone has the audacity to place their palm over the shower head.

However they are also very easy to fix. You need a No.1 point (small) cross head (posi and phillips are interchangeable at this size).

with the power off (of course) and the bath plug in the hole (you'll find out why later) remove the trim plate, control knob and unscrew (normal No.

2 Pozi) the outer cover. You can then remove (with the No.1 point) the outlet fitting. In the outlet fitting is a small rubber ball (about 6mm diam) which can be reseated back in the outlet fitting.

If the releif water is running down the tiles then you may have no problem but if it's finding its way behind...

Reply to
Ed Sirett

That's the kind of reply that really impresses me. I'll give it a try. The water is just running down the tiles so I don't expect any problem there.

Thank you very much.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

They are with the right instructions. It only took a few minutes.

You're a scholar and a gentleman. Thanks very much.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave