Short term paper shredding

When I wanted to sign up for online banking, the bank's own systems couldn't even distinguish between my and my wife's payments. "You shopped at Tesco last Tuesday, how much did you spend?" "I didn't, my wife did, so I don't know". Three attempts, all failed and I could not sign up without my wife sat next to me to answer questions.

Reply to
SteveW

I've seen it happen at work. Bags of documents brought out to be shredded in the truck parked at the front door.

Often the problem is not proving that you destroyed it, but someone else finding an undestroyed copy, so that won't help that much.

I have worked in places where copies needed to be registered when created and witnessed in the register when destroyed.

Reply to
SteveW

When my daughter moved from Manchester to N. Yorkshire she had to put stuff into storage for a while. The storage company had a shredding service where you bought a bag from them filled it up and returned it to them for shredding I think it cost £15 if I remember correctly. I suppose there was a risk somebody might try to use documents for identity theft but these places do not have many staff and it would probably be easy to identify a culprit.

I have seen a few of these we come to your property and shred on site firms don’t know the costs but I suspect if you do not have at a couple of wheelie bins full of documents it might not be cost effective.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Ebay them all, and bin the ones that are not bought

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I know there's only one way to find out, but do you really thing there are buyers out there?

Wireless World, Practical Wireless, Practical Electronics, Byte, Personal Computing etc ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not in West Sussex you can't.

Andrew

So throw it all away in different places or weekly with your normal rubbish when it's (say) five years old.

Reply to
Chris Green

Of course the clever ones have a scanner built into the feed slot. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

This is probably the site you remember with what they have:

Jeff Layman

Yes, it was thanks ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

When this subject came up several months ago, it was suggested that it might be worth checking with the British Library to see if they were interested in any magazines:

Jeff Layman

I managed to ebay a collection of Electronics "The Maplin Magazine"

Reply to
John Rumm

OOI Do they take the waste away or leave it?

Reply to
John Rumm

They take it away, you can witness it getting shredded via CCTV if necessary.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The burn, pay or pulp are your only options.

Reply to
Animal

offer em free.

Reply to
Animal

People collect stamps. Some people want copies of every wireless world there ever was, and will pay to fill in the blanks for example.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had Wireless Worlds going back to early seventies and couldn't sell them in bulk on eBay, though I did receive requests for three of them to help complete someone else's collection. Wasn't worth messing about, so I posted them with a request that the recipients put a quid in a collection tin somewhere.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Yes, its not that wants massive sums for them, its that the thought of them going to waste if someone somewhere might need them is depressing.

There are great archives online though. Whenever I scan in a manual or something I post the result to a manual archive, and my areomodlling hobby has a stupendous site - outerzone.co.uk - which as every plan I can ever remember and build instructions too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Most older WW are available to read on-line...

Dave

Reply to
David Wade