Shaver plugs/cords (again)

Having previously cut the plug off my rechargeable toothbrush, I'd like to put a shaver plug back on it since I have a shaver socket in the new bathroom. Finding a rewireable shaver plug seems impossible though and I suspect Elf 'n' Safety is at work.

I appreciate that a post in 2010 from somebody else included a link to Farnell for a "Euro plug"

but having tried that, these things don't appear to work in your bog standard shaver socket. I even tried a 3-pin to EU travel adapter and you just can't wedge the damned thing into the socket; it needs to have the narrower pitch of a shaver plug.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Connell

Is the lead hard wired to the shaver? If not, would it not be simpler to get a new lead with moulded on plug?

John Rumm

It is hard-wired, yes, but then that's what soldering irons are for. This would certainly be one option and you have to hope that the mains plug is one of the narrower pitch ones. Not that the Farnell website explains this. Grrr.

Reply to
Jon Connell

Most leads are very flexible and made of tinsell wire. Difficult to solder and get a strong connection - hence moulded plugs. (IMHO)

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I used to use old french mains plugs for that, the 2 round pin pattern. Shaver adaptors accept them. They wont conform to BS so not for use at work, and inspect before use to ensure they insulate and cordgrip ok.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

also there seems to be two sizes now. My new Remmington is smaller than my last one and the psu is built on the side of the plug so you cannot cut it off nowadays for this reason!

I thought that most shaver adaptors now also allowed those american flat pin plugs ith holees in them to be plugged in. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, but usually only on the 120V outlet in bathrooms with transformers. OK if the saver is designed for wide range voltage input.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

adaptors accept them. They wont conform to BS so not for use at work, and inspect before use to ensure they insulate and cordgrip ok.

I should add that IME a while ago, a lot at the time failed to meet safety requirements

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Meh, modern safety requirements are only there because dumb people have proven they can't complete simple tasks safely,

that's why the world is so crowded nowadays, we are allowing the people who would have removed them selves from the gene pool to keep on living, and be thick enough to not even realise it.

Reply to
Gazz

Just for clarity, I mean the old French plugs too often failed the most basic of safety requirements.

NT

Reply to
meow2222