Shared drive

Hi all, i live in a house with a shared drive but only enough room for a single line of cars, i have decided to run a 4ft fence down ourside so the dog can go out without running off. Do you think this would need planning permission? the neighbour has no car so there is no conflict there, any advice appreciated.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Am I the only one who opened this thinking it was a computer problem?

Reply to
PJ

I think your neighbour would be very silly not to object as later he/she may want to sell the house and a long standing fence could damage it's saleability.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Smith

It's shared, not half and half. Your neighbour would be mad to agree - unless he would like something like it himself. But it would almost certainly reduce the value of both properties.

Why not just fence off the rear garden for the dog?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I agree but if its on our side of the drive can there be any objections, also its only going to be halfway down the drive.

steve

Reply to
Steve

Not necessarily true. Many such houses were built, not with a "shared drive" but with a fence and two passages. The fences are often removed to make a shared drive. The deeds/land registry details should show if there is a boundary there.

(We had a house in the original state, my neighbour wanted to remove the fence to make a shared drive. I consider I would have been mad to accept!).

I would avoid shared drives like the plague- what if the neighbour moves and the new neighbour wants to drive old cars etc round the back (as mine did)? If your current neighbour is in agreement, go for it pronto is my advice and check the deeds.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

You probably don't own "your" half of it, you have 50% ownership of the entire lot. Furthermore, your neighbour almost certainly has vehicular right of way on it.

The whole thing sounds like a very bad idea. If I was the neighbour, I would object very strongly. Round my way, the fence would reduce the house price by about 10-20K, as there would no longer be off road parking. Place the fence after the shared bit.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Have you asked your neighbour what he or she thinks? You could be reducing the value of both your properties by making the drive unusable for parking and, in your own case, by starting an unpleasantness with the neighbour that you'd have to declare to any potential buyer in the future.

If your area is anything like our London borough, you might both be glad in the future to be able to offer off-street parking, for example to visiting workmen, rather than to have to pay them another GBP 9.60 a day to cover parking charges while they're at your house (OK, I know this is uk-d-i-y, but think plasterers).

As far as planning permission goes, I'd check this out with a legal group (uk.legal.moderated for example).

Reply to
Jo Lonergan

I read that as placing the fence between the drive and the lawn. I think most responders read it as placing the fence down the middle of the drive. Which did you mean?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Apparently not ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I wouldn't get to over excited. Just drop in a removable fence and let nature take it's course.

Reply to
Jim