Shallow tale

Radio 2, 12:00 - 14:00, Jump to 1:35 PM

James Vince, Senior Pro-active Network manager for Openreach said it was a Singleton Burst of Radio Interference.

I like the comment at 1:44PM about the bloke in Ireland who went round the village late at night and used his TV remote to turn all the TV's over to Babestation.

Reply to
Andrew

Also listen from 1:54 onwards

Reply to
Andrew

No, not at all relevant. You're generalising from one vaguely relevant bit of knowledge you've gained from personal experience.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

You've believed the media. They got it wrong.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

This has been done to death on quite a few newsgroups. Since the bbc story originally was a bit low on specifics, it could be almost anything really. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

And of course the effect works the other way, if you have adsl overhead lines going over your property, te burbling hash from the long and medium wave bands all the way over the 160 metre ham band can be terrible. The sooner we get rid of it the better. Oh and don't get me started on powerline adaptors and wall wart interference. At least those plasma tvs are almost gone with their huge pulses of noise and general hash. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The original newspaper reports called it SHINE (the term for a single burst, not REIN the term for continuous) and the BT engineer on radio2 yesteday said the same ...

And you know different because ... ?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Hmm, I am not so sure, tvs generally are much lower power than thermostats. A person across the road used to have a plasma, and he used to turn it off at the wall at night. When it was turned on it would produce a very loud hummy carrier with harmonics that drifted from the top end of Medium wave all the way up to around 2.4mhz, which I assume was created by the switch mode psu running in standby. When it came on to be watched there was also a hash noise all over the lf bands. Those screens were terrible for generating crap. Luckily, most are now dead. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

we read the Times

Reply to
charles

Are you referring to the TV itself or the TV owner themself?

:-)

Reply to
No Name

I did have an occasion where I could not recieve two specific transponders on Freesat via my domestic IRS system.

I only managed to solve it by either:

Putting the case back on a Freenas Server or by physically increasing teh distance between the Freenas server and the Multiswitches.

(all of it was in the loft)

S.

Reply to
No Name

The Times report supported my common sense assessment.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I wonder if all the villagers had ADSL provided via overhead phone lines.....?

This would make them "effective" recieve antennas for anything emitting signals in the same frequency range as ADSL?

When I cabled up my my house, I used STP cable which is like UTP but with a metal foil around it.

One end of the metal foil is bonded to earth in the loft.

The purpose was to:

(a) prevent any networking signals emanating and getting into something else (b) prevent any signals from getting into the ethernet cables and affecting my home network performance.

It is also Cat 6 rated cable so I can push it to beyond 1 GBit/s if the occasion ever arises.

There is a lot to be said for having Fibre to the premises, as it would be immune to electrical and/or RF interference.

Reply to
No Name

We read The Register, which actually knows the difference, and checks its facts.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't hold your breath, there was a 2nd hand panny plasma telly in the BHF shop in Worthing just before lockdown.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

What did it say?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Our plasma set is fine. Doesn't shove out any great amount of RFI. Certainly not to the extent you can tell if it's on or off by the noise level in the HF bands.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There is no credible explanation so far. I'm hearing and reading a lot of bollocks.

They obviously do not want to give precise technical detail, to arm mischievous school boys with "ammunition".

I've had an outage here, caused by "noise-on-mains", which then feeds through the *two* levels of regulation in my SGS/Thomson ADSL2+ modem/router and knocks out sync. The noise source was a persistent fixed source of noise. Not a single pulse. Sufficiently broadband to knock out all the frequency bins. I have no equipment for quantification. My outage would happen at ~9PM in the evening, as if SNR degraded on the line around then from crosstalk, and that's when the thing would drop sync. Replacing the ATX supply fixed it.

Note that using the correct version of "DMT" utility for your ADSL modem, it shows bins and SNR conditions of said bins. Any cottager in the village in question, could have used DMT before and after the event, to see what it looked like. DMT does not work on all modems, the procedure is custom to each company, and the tool uses something like telnet to collect bin data.

On the old dialup modems, there is an AT command set command to dump the bin state after a connection drops. This allows spotting the presence of loading coils or the like for dialup modems. Well, the ADSL2+ modems are very similar in nature - just the access method to collect the information is different. On my particular modem, if I were to update the firmware, one of the "features" is support for DMT data collection is dropped from the design. That's how tenuous usage of DMT is.

Check dslreports.com for screenshots of DMT output, as well as general advice on tuning for ADSL.

Knocking out a single bin does not stop ADSL. It's designed to handle line impairments, by using whatever part of the spectrum that will pass a signal unimpeded. Judging by the villagers piss-poor speed (1.5Mbit/sec), it's obvious they're well into the soup to start with.

For me, the $64K question is, how is that TV "signal" being spewed through the entire village ? Are all the houses running off the same phase, such that noise-on-mains is available to everyone ? For example, where I live, only three houses are off the same transformer, and my failed ATX supply that was generating the noise pattern, could have caused grief for the other two houses. One house has no Internet, the other uses Rogers Cable for broadband, so no harm or foul there. The signal would not make it past the transformer, to the next distribution level. (Just as powerline networking doesn't extend past the transformer into the next distribution level of mains.)

*******

You could place one of these between the defective TV/DVD player and mains, to attempt to stop noise-on-mains. Maybe throw in a ferrite as well. Keep the cable between the TV set and this box to a minimum (reduce antenna loop size, for cases where your emitter is also causing RF problems for others, rather than just conducted noise).

(Use the download button to get full-resolution)

The current datasheet isn't as detailed as that one. The current datasheet doesn't have the equivalent schematic.

(
)

These are items a very rich ham tadio operator might buy. Or perhaps, a person wishing to continue using their dodgy TV/DVD player :-/

*******

The villagers are 18,000 feet from the CO. They're not using a pedestal unit with fiber leading up to it, which reduces the copper distribution to about 500 feet or so. That wouldn't solve the TV problem, but it would be the basis for a solution to their "1.5Mbit/sec" performance level.

I used to be a couple miles from the CO, and fed with a long piece of copper and got 3Mbit/sec. Once the pedestal was added at the corner, and the copper line length reduced, then I could get 15Mbit/sec (out of a max of around 24Mbit/sec or so). I don't think they tariff any higher rate on ADSL2+ here, and the ones higher than that are VDSL flavors. VDSL here starts at 15/10, ADSL2+ max is tariffed as 15/1. We have fiber here, but that's never going to be added to my neighborhood. It's an apartment dweller thing.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

you mention Rogers Cable broadband and talk about Dollars... Are you in the United States?

Reply to
No Name

I'm in Canada.

Most of the standards in the "Standards" section here are ITU, so I'm assuming the ADSL is the same everywhere. Only at the beginning might it have been different. (The first devices were a bit shy on performance.)

One difference is, the Americans choose to serve their users at 36000 feet for their scummiest service offering. Nobody else does that (Canada doesn't). It's 18000 feet max for the rest. And rural users tend to get the all-copper version of the tech, with no attempt to provide something you'd call broadband. That used to drive me nuts here when I was getting 3Mbit/sec. The bill would say I was receiving "5Mbit service", when it never could deliver such a thing, and they used to torture us with "service improvements". And the bandwidth meter would get a slight nudge. I could hear the snickering coming all the way from the Bell building. Such frauds. It's different today, as the bandwidth delivered is goodput, and the customer doesn't "eat" the overheads like they used to do. You received 3Mbit of packets, but after the PPPOE is removed, the figure was less than that.

There are some posters in the US, who get 1.5Mbit/sec down, and that's considered "normal". And those are the people who are potentially on 36000 feet of copper pair. And they leave their household access cable laying in the grass, for the lawn mower to go over them. Class stuff. Our cables never lay on the ground here. The lawn mower at least, can't knock out service.

Paul

Reply to
Paul