Sewer Question

Please see photo of sewer inspection manhole at

The horizontal half pipe is running from next door on my lhs through my garden and on to next door on the rhs

The two pipes running in to that are from two sewer down pipes from toilets and sinks of mine.

The question is what is the full pipe which enters the chamber.

It contained some "shit" (I think it was - didn't smell too nasty) and water but it was not blocked.

When I put hose pipe in to it - the water comes running out of the lh of my sewer downpipes.

Some sort ff overflow - but I cannot really understand or hazard a guess.

Help please.

Reply to
Rupert

Probably a rodding point.

Reply to
Nightjar

Air vent I would guess - to something like this nearby:

Those often fall off and the pipe that's left gets full of soil.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Rupert wrote in news:dqm62b1mgspg1pap8o249hd76dk0q7ibhc@

4ax.com:

Are you aware of what alterations have been carried out in the past? Could it be a rodding point? - if so it should have a cover.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

It's obviously connected to your LH sewer pipe. My guess is that the sewer pipe has a bend at an inaccessible location, and that the mystery pipe provides access for rodding on the remote side of the bend. In that case - as others have said - it should have a cover.

Reply to
Roger Mills

But only if there was a trap between the two?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Why the need for a cover? Unless there's a trap on the LHS, vapour can just as easily enter the manhole from the lower pipe or the upper rodding pipe?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Fredxxx wrote in news:mvvsvm$841$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I will say - it should "normally" have a cover - but normally it would not be within a chamber.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Yes, absolutely agree.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Fair point! Being inside a chamber, it probably doesn't matter.

Reply to
Roger Mills

On further replection, I wonder whether it's a drop sewer - something like this:

Seems possible, but the upper pipe is at a slightly funny angle.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It's a rodding eye.

If there's a blockage downstream, it makes it easier to clear.

There may, or may not, be a hidden U-bend

Reply to
harry

Thanks to all. I am not sure that it is intending for rodding. The pipe (as viewed in photo) is not a straight pipe: it curves upwards as it enters the inspection chamber (not clear in photo). The line of it is such that it will converge with the sewer down pipe at about the point where the sewer down pipe bends to become horizontal to the inspection chamber. As I said there was some crap in it as well. But I must admit - even with suggestions - I am unsure of purpose. The pipe in to the sewer - and the pipe in question - were put in about twenty years ago when a new bathroom was added to the property.

Reply to
Rupert

Our last house although built in 1957 utilised the Victorian waste system f rom what previously stood on the site. There was a massive manhole out of w hich the waste drained out through a clay pipe that had a dip in it which f ormed a water trap beyond the water trap a pipe came back at an angle above the water trap back into the manhole this pipe had a flap valve incorporat ed to prevent back flow and smell emanating. The purpose of this was to ena ble rodding beyond the water trap. In our case the water trap had silted up and the manhole filled up with waste only draining away once the level rea ched what was the rodding point.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky