Servicing Combi Boiler

I had an Ideal Response combi boiler installed 3 years ago. I am very pleased with it, and after two years the manufacturer gave it a service under the terms of the warranty. A year later I rang my local engineer to book a service. I had used him for years on my old boiler. He told me not to waste my money on an annual service, as combis didn't require cleaning out like my old Potterton. If it was working satisfactorily, I should leave well alone and only call him if there was a problem. Is he right, or should I find someone who will do it? I have never had reason to doubt him before.

Reply to
Peter Morrill

Nigel Molesworth

I have no doubt that the manufacturers recommendations are that it is serviced annually,however there is some truth in what your man says and he is honest enough to say it. However, as a customer has requested a service and as the manuf's instructions will stipulate a service at 12 month intervals,i would have carried out a service/inspection whether it needed it or not. Your man hasnt really done anything wrong, its just that he isnt in modern litigious society mode and so i didnt want you paying for what would probably be un-necessary work.

tarquinlinbin

As said before, your manufacturer's instructions state a 'service' is required every 12 months, although a 'safety check' is all that isusually required - there isn't much to clean on a Response.

Angus

Reply to
Fentoozler

I'm with your man. Unless..... the boiler comes with a 5 year warranty or the like. Our Valiant Economax thingy had the statury 12 months warranty, thereby invoking my "why screw with something that's fine" policy.

If I'd had it serviced annually it would have had 5 blokes (or one bloke

5 times) removing covers to pinch and poke and suck and blow, disturbing wires, pipes & seals etc. It gets used with vigor at least 15 hours a day 5 days a week flat out. When bits need replacing they'll need replacing at the same point in the boilers life regardless of how many "services" it's received.
Reply to
PeTe33

Your 'old Potterton' didn't require 'annual cleaning out' either, unless something was very amiss. Unless installed by dribble, obviously.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Amazing! This senile one never serviced his boiler for over 12 years, and told everyone else to do the same. He also cuts the tails off taps as well. Amazing!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel