Septic Drainfield sabotaged by farmer

We are investigating whether to redig our drainfield for our septic tank or buy a new Septic Sewage treatment plant (before the £100,000 fines from the new General Binding Rules come in on Hanuary 1st 2020)

The old drainfield has blocked over time, as they do, but the water table has risen due to the farmer's father (RIP) blocking the watercourse lower down for a new field entrance.

I'm guessing that a higher water table will mean less drainage from the drainfield and a much shorter life for it. Plus as seven properties share it we cant be sure people arent pouring fat etcetera down it.

Do we spend time and money digging holes for percolation tests, or decommission the septic tank and get a new sewage treatment plant?

Could we force the farmer to dig out the watercourse and bury a pipe to drain it as it was originally?

A hundred variable here, any advice and experience please?

George

Reply to
George Miles

It may be easier simply to move house.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

But we cant sell the house with an illegal septic tank...

?If you?re selling a house with a septic tank that discharges into a watercourse, then the sale of the property will trigger the requirement to upgrade or replace the tank before the deadline of 1 January 2020 and before the sale completes.?"

S> > > any advice and experience please?

Reply to
George Miles

If you block up the outlet completely it becomes a cesspit and does not discharge into the watercourse.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Do the new regulations actually apply to you anyway? Since ISTR they were aimed at owners of septic systems that did not discharge into a drainage field, but instead directly into a watercourse.

From your description it sounds more like changes to the watercourse have resulted in a reduction in performance of the drainage field.

Has anyone tried asking nicely rather than "forcing" etc? It does seem like its something that would be worth doing.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes.

At greater exoense then a sewage plant

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Could you arrange to have it done yourselves, quickly and without asking anyone else?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Have you contacted the Environment Agency?

Reply to
charles

The OP says it's draining into drainage field that is now blocked. It's not drianing directly into a water course. So the 1st Jan 2020 compliance doesn't apply.

Just replace the drainage field. But with seven other housholds all sharing it getting everyone to agree to share the cost, how much to spend and then stumpup the dosh is another matter. Who said move? It's simpler...

A higher water table doesn't necessarly mean that the drainage is any less than it was before. Water does move downhill through the ground.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'd have thought that the local council should take the farmer to task over his changes, I guess though he would not want to admit responsibility, for to do so would leave him open for your claim to pay for thee remedial action. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I was dubious about that claim too. There's a standard meme about someone digging a ditch at the bottom of a sloping field to improve drainage. You should normally dig the ditch at the top, to intercept run-off *into* the field.

Reply to
newshound

You might find it useful to spend some time trawling through riparian rights and responsibilities legislation.

of the tenets relates to not obstructing watercourses.

Reply to
Cynic

charles snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk> posted

Perhaps the very last thing they ought to do.

Reply to
The Marquis Saint Evremonde

not yet ...

[g]