New connection to septic tank?

This is not going to be a diy project! But I would like to find out if it is even possible to make a new connection to a 40 yr old brick-built septic tank for a new bathroom in a house extension. Or would it be necessary to make the new connection to the ceramic pipes leading in to the septic tank ?
On 20/09/2013 10:59, blod wrote:

You need to feed it via the existing pipe feeding the septic tank. You may fall foul of the builing inspector. Is the ST registered with the EA?
--
Peter Crosland

On Friday, September 20, 2013 11:16:23 AM UTC+1, Peter Crosland wrote:

it is even possible to make a new connection to a 40 yr old brick-built se ptic tank for a new bathroom in a house extension. Or would it be necessar y to make the new connection to the ceramic pipes leading in to the septic tank?

Oh FFS not this again...from you again...
where is the requirement to register ? read your own link man!
"While the review is under way, we will not require the registration of sma ll domestic sewage discharges from septic tanks and small sewage treatment plants, in England."
Jim K
On Friday 20 September 2013 10:59 blod wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Replacing the concept of "brick septic tank" with "brick junction pit" I personally would be looking to joint into the pipes rather than messing with the pit. I think it will be simpler, less smelly, less to go wrong and the end result just as good.
You use 110mm plastic and clay2plastic rubber transition couplers as one option.

On Friday, September 20, 2013 11:36:53 AM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:

+1
Jim K
On Friday, September 20, 2013 11:36:53 AM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:

When I did a similar job way back I created a new inspection chamber where the new pipe met the old. You have to dig quite a big hole to get down there and cut back the old clay pipe plus sliding connectors on in both direction is not that simple.
I cut the exposed length of clay pipe in situ with an angle grinder to form an open topped channel straight through, then brought the new pipe in at an angle just above it. Concreted around it all then bricked up the sides to support a standard cover and frame. I lived with this setup for 12 years. The extra inspection chamber came in useful for clearing the occasional blockage as well.
Tip. Have the septic tank emptied first to ensure the old pipe is empty, guess how I learned this...
Mike
On Friday, September 20, 2013 10:59:18 AM UTC+1, blod wrote:

:-)

My guess is that if you are adding a new bathroom, "somebody" (Environment Agency or Building Control) are going to want you to replace the septic tank with something better.
http://www.wte-ltd.co.uk/sewage_treatment_costs.html suggests 2K-5K for something like a Klargester (OTOH, they also suggest that a septic tank may be legal if the drain field has enough capacity.)
On 20/09/2013 13:20, Martin Bonner wrote:

It important to note that the EA will not, repeat not, under any circumstances give retrospective permission for the installtion. Depending on the site location and quality of the output from the treatment plant it may be possible to do the job for £5K but realistically budget twice that including the drainage field. The existing drainage field is unlikely to be satisfactory as it will almost certainly be clogged with debris and not large enough anyway.
This link tells you about the registration requirements for existing septic tanks.
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/118753.aspx
-a- Peter Crosland
On 20/09/13 20:53, Peter Crosland wrote:

You dont need a drainage field with a klargester. Total installation around 8k average

--
Ineptocracy