Septic tank

Recent post about septic tank produced a lot of hot air. Just wondering how many on this list actually live in a house served by a septic tank?
I do.
Mike

Up until two years ago, so did I, for eighteen years.
--

Chris

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 17:27:40 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

--
Cheers
Dave.
On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 19:14:42 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

diameter

Yes they do, it's cess pits that don't have an out flow.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 28/07/2020 19:36, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Ah. Then perhaps I have one
--
“when things get difficult you just have to lie”

― Jean Claud Jüncker
On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 19:14:42 +0100, The Natural Philosopher

You're thinking of a cess pit! Septic tanks have outflows. https://tinyurl.com/y63fqm9v
--

Chris

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message wrote:

You're thinking of a cess pit! Septic tanks have outflows. https://tinyurl.com/y63fqm9v
Chris
= The only difference to ours is that the pipe doesn't go into an absorption field but straight to a burn, though that then flows into a marsh area before any water flows into the river.

I would say that's a watercourse by any definition, and you will be expected to do something about it. I can't see that the burn flowing into a marsh before it reaches the river makes any difference. The burn is an open watercourse. Drainage fields for septic tanks are all underground, including the pipes from the tank to the field.
--

Chris

On 28/07/2020 17:27, Muddymike wrote:

kind of - more of a cess pit (800 gallon brick brick cube with a lid set into the ground), but the overflow is piped to the sewage treatment plant on the adjacent farm.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 5:27:41 PM UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:

I have a septic tank, but you all know that I said so before.
I am assuming my tank is within regulations because I cannot make any sense of anything anymore.
"april showers" wrote in message
On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 5:27:41 PM UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:

I have a septic tank, but you all know that I said so before.
I am assuming my tank is within regulations because I cannot make any sense of anything anymore.
LOL
On 28/07/2020 17:27, Muddymike wrote:

and I.
Shared with other half of semi. Large, dates from 1940's apparently. It's in a field about fifty feet from the house.
--
djc

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
On 28/07/2020 17:27, Muddymike wrote:

As do I.

I liked the story (which I hope is true) about the couple asleep in their camper van when they heard sounds of a disturbance outside. It turned out someone was attempting to syphon the fuel but syphoned the septic tank instead :-)

Cess pit: sealed container which has no outflow and does little to process the sewage - effectively everything that goes in has to be emptied back out.
Septic tank: two vessels which process the sewage and discharge *fairly* innocuous liquid into a soakway or a water course (though the latter is not allowed in the new 2020 regs)
Mini sewage works: septic tank with mechanical agitation and maybe air bubbled through the sewage to help it to rot more, discharging liquid which is cleaner than for a septic tank, into either a soakway or a watercourse (the latter *is* allowed in the 2020 regs).
On 29/07/2020 12:03, NY wrote:

Neither have been allowed for years. That's why I had to put in what you call a 'mini sewage works' back in the noughties.. had a septic tank discharging into a soakaway, they said 'New house? Cant use that'

Other methods are allowable. I.e. reed beds etc etc
"Scott" wrote in message wrote:

I liked the story (which I hope is true) about the couple asleep in their camper van when they heard sounds of a disturbance outside. It turned out someone was attempting to syphon the fuel but syphoned the septic tank instead :-)
= LOL serve them right :))))
On 29/07/2020 17:03, Ophelia wrote:

cesspool
On 29/07/2020 18:20, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:

How do you 'syphon' anything from a tank that is below ground ?.
On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 20:04:28 +0100, Andrew wrote:

in

outside.  It

the

Presumably the tea leaves found the pump out connection for the camper vans toilet. That tank has no out flow and needs regular emptying so is "cess pit" rather than a "septic tank".
--
Cheers
Dave.