Sensor Light Switch for Bathroom

Hi All,

I've had a quick google without success but does anyone know where I can find a bathroom light switch triggered by a movement sensor?

This would need to be a direct replacement for the ceiling based switch we have at the moment.

Current switch is very noisy so a movement based one would be perfect!

Cheers.

Reply to
beamer

I've just seen this one that would presumably do the job.

anyone know of anything cheaper / better / neater?

It's to operate 3 50w spots (individual 12v transformers).

Cheers.

Reply to
beamer

I thought of doing this in my bathroom, but decided against it in the end as the light will always turn on, even if you are just popping into the bathroom to get something, then stay on for it's set time before turning off. Also, if you were laying in the bath, relaxing, (Or even having a long poo :-) ) the lights would probably go off at some point, unless you set the on time for quite a long tome, which will cause more of a problem with the first point I made!

I haven't actually tried one yet, but these are the problems I can envisage with a PIR type arrangement!

The "normal" pull switches are quite loud, especially when mounted on a hollow ceiling, however, these are much much quieter, and dim the lights if you pull and hold....

Toby

Yep, had this problem at school. We had a refurbishment, and although we ended up with proper walls and doors between bog cubicles (to stop the practice of throwing water and wet bogroll into occupied traps :-) ) we also got newfangled movement sensors which were only in the main room (and there were no windows). If having a long "think" one would suddenly be plunged into pitch darkness, and have to open the door and wave a leg about to turn the lights back on!

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Would a standard plate switch outside the bathroom not be better? A standard switch is not loud, and is a hell of a lot cheaper than any sensor system.

Reply to
BigWallop

On Wed 19 Nov08 15:46, Toby wrote in :

Dito my times extractor fan. In the end I disabled it.

Reply to
carip

I've been through all these configurations and considerations. Originally had a pull switch in the bathroom which got in the way of the door and the airing cupboard, so removed it and put a narrow switch (architrave switch ?) outside. This is much neater, I did buy in a cheap PIR (off Ebay) as the bathroom light tends to get left on but have not fitted it for the very reasons given by an earlier poster

- light comes on when not needed and goes out when bathing, etc.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I have two Danler flush to ceiling PIRs bought from QVS. They work great although I'm sure others do too.

Reply to
Calvin

it is permitted to mount one of these in a bathroom? It has Standards BS EN 60730-2-7.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

I've had the idea to install a second less bright light, for going to the toilet at night without blinding oneself with a bright light. I've been looking for standalone LED ones like those that you put in cupboards, but they aren't quite bright enough. It can't be that difficult to have a LED lights running off batteries with either passive IR or movement detector, which switches on for

5-10mins Not that I've seen such a device, but they can't be that difficult to make cheaply in bulk.
Reply to
whisky-dave

I have an Osram Lunetta nightlight in our en-suite, plugged into a decidely non-Part-P compliant 3 pin socket installed high up on the wall. Occasionally I mull over how it could be made compliant (possible thoughts include gluing it into the socket or installing the guts of it inside a back box with a transparent blanking plate on the front.) Needless to say, ICBA to solve what I regard as a non-problem, and I shall merely substitute a blanking plate when we move out.

Reply to
Huge

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'm ashamed to say I've ignored everything and have bought an IP44 rated motion sensor jobby. The deciding factor was that my wife thought that even if it doesn't work it would be a laugh!

It's a 360 degree rated jobby. The bathroom is very small so hopefully it will work ok.

I'll fit it this weekend (hopefully) and if anyone is interested, I'll post the results!

The reason for not fitting a new switch outside is that both rooms have been plastered and decorated recently. I've got no wish to start chasing walls out and wiring etc.

Our bathroom is downstairs, immediately below where our 8 wk old son is sleeping hence the need for a quieter solution. Exposed floorboards may look nice but they aren't very good for soundproofing.

I posted a question about a humidistat controlled extractor fan some time ago. The feedback was that they are a bit rubbish but I've had excellent results. The fan comes on when needed. i.e. not in the middle of the night.

Cheers.

Reply to
beamer

Balls. Nothing ever goes smoothly.

Current switch only has three wires available. One earth and I assume two lives (one supply and one load).

New motion jobby obviously needs the neutral to run the PIR.

It's not possible to cut into the ceiling as it's only recently been replaced.

Back to the drawing board!!

Reply to
beamer

Balls. Nothing ever goes smoothly.

Current switch only has three wires available. One earth and I assume two lives (one supply and one load).

New motion jobby obviously needs the neutral to run the PIR.

It's not possible to cut into the ceiling as it's only recently been replaced.

Back to the drawing board!!

The ceiling rose must have neutral available or the lught won't work, so why not take a cable from the ceiling rose to the PIR?

Reply to
BigWallop

it might even be possible to pull through a 3 core with the 2 core from the rose to the switch

Reply to
Kevin