semi-transparent floor

I guess this is a tough one.... I am thinking of make the most of two roof windows by letting the light coming from these through the ceiling into the second floor of a terrace house.

At the moment I am considering using sheets of polycarbonate (triplewall 16mm) in the area just below the two windows. These sheets would cover an area of about 2m x 4m around the centre of the loft space while the rest will be covered with the usual chipboard. Ideally, the loft area should be usable...in the same way as if it was covered entirely by chipboard. I've already done a quick test and I am quite positive that the polycarbonate sheet will work just fine if not better than chipboard.

However there are certain issues which I need to consider before moving forwards: The loft space will be used for studio recording and I want to avoid reflective surfaces as much as possible. I am thinking of using a sort of perforated carpet (made of seagrass or simialar) on top of the polycarbonate sheets. Where can I find such product or are there any viable alternative? Has anyone out there any experience in semi-transparent and non reflective floors? Any hint is very much appreciated,

Thanks

Alex

Reply to
swimmydeepo

In message , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote

Will it still be as strong in, say, 5 years time? Will UV or heat cause it to become brittle? Will it suffer fatigue with constant walking across it?

Reply to
Alan

Not sure I'd want to trust it. More expensive, but have you considered glass? Failing that, how about a sunpipe; see, for example

luck with the studio :-)

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

And a big sign that says .No Skirts Please . Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

I've used 16mm triple wall polycarbonate for a conservatory roof. I took great care not to put too much weight on it because I am quite positive it isn't strong enough. If it were solid 16mm polycarbonate, that would be a different matter. The more usual material for clear floors is thick glass.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

The window glass will filter out most of the shortwave UV, so it should last a lot longer than if used outdoors.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Most transparent plasics are vulnerable to crazing, or even complete failure if fairly small amounts of solvent get dropped on them. You will dramatically (several times) increase the amount of light if you build light-guides, which can be as simple as boxes sloping from the windows into the room, foil-lined.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Also, if there were a fire it could melt, posing a hazard for anyone trapped in the loft.

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

This will work from the light point of view. Our house has a similar system at the top of a staircase. It doesn't give all that much light, but enough, but then we don't have a proper window, just polycarbonate replacement roof tiles, and the (glass!) sheet below is only about 3' x 2'. The glass is also in what would be called the 'landing' area of the attic floor! We have thought of replacing it with a sunpipe but they are expensive and we will probably put in a proper door/window at the top of the stairs at some point.

No idea about the strength issues with polycarbonate sheets or how to make them non-reflective surfaces.

Given that what you are proposing to do would cost a bit anyway I wonder if a sunpipe might be a better idea?

Reply to
Holly in France

I have been buying roof windows, there are vaious people who can sell you glass pannels that are stroung enough to walk on.

There was a really sexy sliding roof window on Grand Designs the other week, you could have it so that some thing slides across the glass when you want it non reflective.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

I've forgotten to mention that there are joists (350mm gap)underneath the sheets. Poycarbonate is easy to handle and can be cut to size unlike toughened glass.

Reply to
swimmydeepo

But, in the case of a fire underneath, the polycarbonate will go in seconds. I'd be looking at making a simple sloping foil-covered plate of 18mm thick chipboard or something, that acts both as a reflector, to add great amounts of light, and a fire door. Which can, on heat being detected below (hot-melt glue or wax releasing a suspension rope) fall, and cover the opening.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Polycarbonate is much more resistant to heat and fire than other plastics...however you might have a point.

In any case I don't think chipboard does a particularly good job against fire and it is pretty useless against water.

Reply to
swimmydeepo

It doesn't. The point is to slow down the fire, to give the fire brigade time to get there. If the fire gets into the attic, AIUI, you stand a good chance of losing the house, and requiring a much more total renovation than a fire contained to one or two rooms.

Reply to
Ian Stirling