Loft conversion in Listed building

I live in Port Sunlight Village, in a grade 2 listed terrace.

I would like to convert the loft into habitable space and am ready to start the planning stage. Given that the house is listed and it is in a conservation area I will not be able to add any windows in the roof. There is currently a rooflight very high up in the roof, but this would be a couple of metres up in the converted loft.

Given the current building regs regarding fire escape, am I onto a loser here? as I will not be able to provide means of escape. ­

Has anybody experienced this and are there any ways around it?

Thanks

Andrew

­­ ­
Reply to
Andrew Barnes

Go and talk to the planners/building control as well as the conservaton officer. They should be able to give you a good idea of what would be acceptable before you start spending money on fees etc.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:51:43 -0000, a particular chimpanzee named "Andrew Barnes" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

You could replace the existing doors at ground and first floor with fire doors. If the doors are listed, they can be upgraded with intumescent paint and card

The rest is as per the normal requirements (an enclosed stair, self-closers, smoke detectors, etc.).

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

replying to Andrew Barnes, HDixon wrote: Did you ever go ahead with this Andrew? I live in Port Sunlight and I'm considering the same so would appreciate any advice.

Reply to
HDixon

Another 13 year old thread dragged up by home owners hub!

.
Reply to
alan_m

Hi did ask if he did it, but of course the original poster has probably moved on by now and mangled some other unsuspecting building! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff