Sellafield offline

We could face serious problems if there were 'issues' from places like Sellafield.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

You wouldn't wand snow on your rods, or in your graphite moderator ;-)

Reply to
Graham.

Don't joke; I know of an enriched uranium fuel store (now long gone) which was designed to cope with flooding as a worst case. Someone was smart enough to review it against snowdrifts and I believe they had to revise the rules.

Reply to
newshound

sellafield is an entirely passive site. There cannot be 'issues' when its not actually reprocessing

And its barely a hazardous site at all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I noticed the 100kg/200lb discrepancy on two Radio 4 bulletins. 1600 &

1700 respectively I think.
Reply to
Graham.

I believe them now as much as I believed them then:

After all, you can't explain radioactivity to a cow...

...or a sheep.

Reply to
Graham.

In message , Graham. writes

Well, you can

just don't expect them to write a thesis on the effects

Reply to
geoff

100Kg is just over 200 pounds, so where is the discrepancy? 220.46 lbs to be exact.
Reply to
harry

That is not exact.

220.4622622
Reply to
polygonum

since 100kg=220lb more or less I fail to see how 100kg is any different from 'over 200lb'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Relief... proves you're normal.

Reply to
Richard

As I said in an earlier response:

"It is not so much the actuality of what came out by the different routes as the thought processes that made it happen."

The effective difference is utterly negligible. Who knows how accurately the bits of Trigger were weighed in the first place.

Reply to
polygonum

For the purposes of a news item, I can't see how 100kg is even any different from 'or (about) 200lb'. It's not that the additional 20lb has any real importance. It's like saying that something is 1/100th the size of Wales, while in reality, it is actually 1/110th.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

So why did they bother? That was my real point. I agree that the accuracy is entirely unimportant except that if they say 200 lbs it should have been close to 200 lbs, but if they say around/about/nearly/just over 200 lbs that is fine.

What brain processes took place that suggested they change it at all? Why not leave it as 100 kg?

Reply to
polygonum

It is a Godforsaken place in the middle of nowhere.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Yup They closed so the workers could get home before the snow got too bad.

Reply to
bert

Which are entirely in your imagination.

Reply to