Sealing a weeping soldered pipe joint.

It's an open vented system, so I don't need to worry about that.

Given the location in the system, it would drain quite a few buckets fulls I imagine.

Anyway,thanks for the help folks, Fred's suggestion of self amalgamating tape worked a treat. I did pop a jubilee clip round it, as I had one handy in the tool box. though I suspect as Dave suggests it wasn't really unnecessary.

Reply to
chris French

In message , Tricky Dicky writes

Not really that suitable for freezing - it's a 28mm tee in a location without a lot of easy accessible pipe to freeze.

And I'm not bothered about draining down, in fact I just want something to keep it from leaking for a bit, as I'll be draining it down again soon to get rid of the x400 and crud put in fresh inhbitior

Reply to
chris French

Stop posting rubbish, you yourself have just posted how to make it work.

The head is only a few feet in most properties. Its only two feet in mine. If you want to argue about blocks of flats then first decide where the loop is going to go.

Reply to
dennis

Depends on where you have your filling loop in relation to the rest of the system.

Really! It depends on where the boiler is so according to your reckoning the majority of houses with unvented CH have their filling loop within a few feet of the high point of the pipework. I would have thought that the majority of such properties are still 2 storey houses with the boiler on the ground floor which would rule out a siphon for practical reasons.

So lb to a pinch of salt you are in a small minority.

You would argue that it makes sense to have the filling loop remote from the boiler? As I said above I have no personal experience of unvented systems so I have been working from first principles one of which was that the filling loop should be adjacent to the boiler so that the pressure can be monitored as the system is filled or topped up.

Blocks of flats with more than 2 floors are, like bungalows, a small portion of the housing stock.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

I had a pinhole leak ... added leak sealer to system ....sealed it in a couple of Hrs .... and still fine when I sold house 8 yrs later.

Think it was a Fernox product, although Screwfix stock the Sentinel version.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

That depends on where your drain is, you don't have to fill through the filling loop. If its a sensible one with a full bore valve and a length of 15mm pipe going trough the wall its easy to attach a siphon or a pump. If its one of those silly elbows you won't want to bother trying.

Maybe that's because they let plumbers design their system?

If its a combi then you may well put the loop near the boiler as that's where the mains is. If its a mains pressure tank and a system boiler you would probably put it near the tank where the mains is.

Even in a two story house there is only between about 8 and 16 feet between likely system top and bottom and maybe a few feet more for a vented system with the tank in the attic.

Reply to
dennis

It may not be necessary to fill through the filling loop but in this discussion you set the scene and up thread you said "so you could fill it from a bucket with a syphon on the filling valve" and I have been responding to that.

So you don't see any need to be able to see the pressure gauge when filling or topping up?

I think you are being unduly optimistic. In my house it is 10' 6" from the drain to the top of the upstairs rads (and I don't have high ceilings) and a further 5' 6" to the water level in the header tank. Anyway that solves one mystery - what you think is a few feet.

Reply to
Roger Chapman