Scissor sharpening - done it.

Over the years, I have many times tried and failed to sharpen scissors. Lots of blunt scissors here and our last two pairs of sharp ones became useless last week for hair cutting, so I ordered some new ones.

Nothing to lose, I did a bit of research on scissor sharpening methods and decided to have a go with a set of diamond files I happened to have. In the past, I have only tried filing with a normal file, the small edge of the blade, with a normal, fine, metal file.

This time I used my fine diamond file, on the wide flat of the blade and on the narrow edge of the blade. It worked, good as new, so I tackled the rest of the scissors with success.

One sharpening method used fine wet and dry type paper, just using the scissors to cut the paper - I just couldn't understand how that might work. Another method involved cutting several layers of aluminium foil

- again I couldn't see how that might work.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Are you saying that that did work?

Reply to
GB

I could not see how those methods might work, so I didn't try them at all.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

No the foil is normally used to get rid of sticky deposits, not sharpen them! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)