Sawing worktop - whats the sealing thing called?

I am going to at some point cut through a worktop so that I lose a section which currently covers my fridge so that I can put a full height fridge freezer in there.

A friend told me to get something to iron on to the cut worktop on the side.

Can't remember what it was called.

Does anyone know?

Thanx

AMO

Reply to
AMO

Edging strip? It matches the worktop finish. Don't know how easy it is to find outside of a trade supplier (it normally comes with worktop)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Failing that... You can buy metal (extruded alloy) work top edging strips which fix on with screws. Seal the cut face first by painting on sealant.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanx. Not sure if its an edging strip. Basically, how it is meant to work is that its some kind of sealant that you iron on with an iron? Its meant to be fairly generic.

Thanx

AMO

Reply to
AMO

Well the only two kosher options I can think of are the edging strip I mentioned (which is certainly precisely matched to the worktop, and is certainly of the 'iron-on' variety); or the metal/plastic strips which Harry mentioned, and are normally glued and/or screwed on (and scream 'DIY' if you ask me).

You can also readily get rolls of similar, iron-on strip to use on the cut edge of melamine-coated chipboard (aka contiboard) but that is much narrower (more so than worktop) and isn't in the same colours).

Basically you need to know where your worktop came from, and approach them for some matching edging. However, if the exposed edge is concealed by a tall fridge-freezer, maybe you don't need to worry too much: just seal it the cut egde with varnish or something to prevent water ingress and swelling. It will only be the very front of the edge which you'll even see.

David

Reply to
Lobster

The message from "AMO" contains these words:

Iron-on edging!

Reply to
Guy King

Yes. A bodge.

A hardwood strip is a much better solution.

Reply to
Andy Hall

the adhesion is poor due to not much surface area touching the glue, filling the end of the "grain" of the worktop with car body filler so you have a smooth edge helps adhesion considerably, remember to let the filler go off first though!!!

Reply to
Staffbull

The material that you want is indeed edging strip. Its not a bodge, after all the whole of your worktop is made of a similar material. Before ironing it on I would seal the cut end with varnish. Allow it plenty time to dry and then apply the strip. You then need to plane or use a stanley knife to trim the excess strip off and then give it a light sand... you can do this using a laminate cutter in a router, but for a one off then the knife and sander will be more than fine. Good Luck... if you speak to your local Magnet branch they should be able to help you out with a strip since new worktops come with 2 as standard and only one is usually used.

The comment on using a hardwood strip is fine if you put silicon between that and the worktop. The comment on using car filler is new to me, but I can see where he's coming from, but this joint is not going to get daily battering so I dont think you need wory in this case. The only crucial is that the end 'grain' is fully waterproofed. Calum Sabey (Newark Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)

Reply to
calums

Thanx David and to all else who replied. Finally managed to get hold of my mate and yes, your right, he called it an edging strip.

Oh, I look forward to when I've cut the thing down and got myself a full height fridge freezer. The constant bending down to see what's in the fridge is something I want to get away from!

AMO

Reply to
AMO

Thanx for that Calum. ;)

AMO

Reply to
AMO

Have never had any problem with simply sanding down the exposed edge before adhering the edging strip !

Reply to
woodglass

Not so sure about " is certainly of the iron on variety" My MFI worktops and also one I got before used a laminate strip matched to the worktop that was fitted with contact adhesive ....

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart