Sawing up an old fridge into smallish chunks?

Anyone tried sawing up an old fridge, with a view to disposal via a dustbin? Was it easy? Are there any significant dangers in using a hand-held circular saw (taking care to miss metal compnents, such as the pump, that is....) ?

Otherwise, I've got some serious humpin' to do...

Cheers,

Mike D

Reply to
Mike D

I thought councils had to collect fridges for free, for CFC recycling.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Won't that destroy the ozone layer & the world as we know it?

Won't the council collect it free - ours does?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Mike,

If your local council operates the same as mine - simply ring them up, ask to be put through to the "special collections department" and then ask this department to pick up the fridge and dispose of it free of charge.

My LA does this "special collection" service on a weekly basis for all 'bulky' defunct household rubbish such as beds, chairs, sofas, cookers etc - with the exception of builders rubble and bulk garden rubbish.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Hmmpf. Mine, Chiltern Council, charges £25 to collect up to three such items at a time plus another £15 per item for any in excess of this up to a maximum of eight per trip.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Mine too, but fridges are free.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Dave,

I must be lucky as mine collects it free - about the only thing that it does mind!

Up until a few years ago, they used to put skips around the the area on something like a six monthly basis so that we could get rid of any rubbish not covered by their special collection scheme - which was a damn useful thing and prevented a lot of fly tipping.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

LOL..

Thanks for the tip... I shall give the council a ring tomorrow. However, sawing it up might be quicker, simpler, and more fun. Could even use an axe, and let out years of pent-up aggression... (-;

Mike

Reply to
Mike D

Not all do it free. Mine seems to charge 16 quid :-(

dmc

Fridges are more expensive in Folkestone! 15 quid for up to 2 items except fridges which are 16 quid each :-(

dmc

've also introduced a range of idiotic measures to restrict what you can take to the local tip. Only one large household renovation item at a time such as a door, old toilet, sink or window frame. A maximum of 4 flourescent tubes per year!!! How the hell do they enforce that I wonder? Keep records of every vehicle number plate and the quantity of flourescent tubes it carried in case you bring three tubes one day and another two 11 months later?? Effing stupidity.

what they're trying to do is make everyone pay for a skip rather than use the local tip.

Reply to
Dave Baker

We have a scrap man do the rounds about twice a week. The stuff put out for the council mostly ends up on his wagon (or minibus!)

Reply to
Mogga

Advertise it on freecycle. :)

Reply to
Mogga

There you go Dave, just ring Owain's council instead!

Reply to
Steve Walker

=A310.70 for 3 items up here in Eden but that doesn't include fridges AF= AICT from their website, they are =A310.70 each... You can of course take the= m to the dump for free, but that is a 60 mile round trip for me.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

items such as trees. They'll only do three special collections in a year, but if you have friendly neighbours it's possible to 'arrange' things :-)

Frank Erskine

I could send Dave a council Reply Paid envelope.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If it's still working, have you considered "freecycle"? If not, it may be worth a punt on eBay. people seem willing to pay stupid money for faulty cameras/PCs/TVs ... maybe they will for duff fridges, too.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Lynch

The freecycle groups round here have a fairly good turn around in Wanted: and Offered: fridges/freezers. If it is still in working order it must be better to pass it onto some one who can make use of it rather than destroy and dump it.

For our excess "junk" I look to flog it first (eBay), then donate to the local charity shop (if suitable, no electronics/electrical), then try freecycle and finally the dump.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I dont think scrap men take fridges and havnt for decades.

Reply to
FKruger