saw horse

Evenin' all

I bought a thing called a saw horse from one of the diy chains, fondly imagining it would be a newer version of the saw horse I had once, a home made wooden thing made up of 2 X shapes with a couple of struts between them

This thing consists of 2 black plastic v shaped bits which each open out into a tent type shape, inverted v, with a yellow plastic bit across the top. But I can't work out how I should use it. Have I got it upside down? What's the function of the yellow bits? Where do I put the tree branch I want to saw into manageable fire sized shapes? How do I hold it in place while I saw? Have I lost the instructions? Am I missing a part? Shouldn't something link the 2 Vs?

At the moment this ugly gizmo sits proudly in the garden while I saw up logs in the old way, supported on the wall by my foot.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to use it properly?

Thanks

Liz

Reply to
Liz

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 18:37:22 GMT, Liz wrote

Maybe it's a "trestle for use as saw horse if you've got two of them" sort of thing.......?

FWIW, I use a couple of table trestles as my "saw horses" -- but you'd need two of them to rest a log on them for cutting....if you see what I mean.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Yes, actually trestles, that's just what these are and there are two, but I can't see the point, how do you hold the log in place to saw on yours? It's too high really and at the wrong angle somehow to put my foot and my hand alone doesn't hold it firmly enough.

Thanks for the reply

Liz

Liz,

I think you have bought carpenters saw horses ( like this?

whereas I think you want a loggers saw horse which is different. ( can'tfind an online piccy of one of these)

A plank supported by a pair of carpenters saw horses, with a knee placed on the plank as it crosses one horse, allows a cut to be made just to the right (or left) of the knee. Can you get your money back?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Well, you don't, really ;)

They don't work very well for logs -- as I found out when hand-sawing- up a plum tree I took down this year....

Yeah; I found that, too. I think the trestle arrangement is meant more for sawing/working with boards and sheet materials than with logs. That's what I'd used them for previously, and they worked fine.

I know the kind of X-shaped saw horses you mean, but I don't know if anybody sells them in the diy shops.

(An aside: they have the X-shaped ones at our local builders' merchant for cutting boards to get them home, with saws attached by a chain to the sawhorse. Kinda' says something about the trustworthiness of builders, that.....)

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Like this?

Grunff

Quite right too. If I was there, the saw horse would've been nicked, they need to chain them to something heavy. ! L

Reply to
Liz

that's a rather sophisticated version of the kind of thing. I've obviously got the wrong thing. Thanks very much.

Blimey, look at the price of it?!

Liz

Reply to
Liz

Definitely "build that out of off-cuts" territory.....

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Ah. I used a cpouple of surplus saw horses as table trestles - with a sheet of MSDF forming the table.

Covered with a cheapo plastic cloth, it msde a fine al fresco dining solution for 8 people...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher