Sanding floorboards - how to replace damaged boards

I'm planning to sand the floorboards in our dining room but some have been damaged during central heating installation. If I get some old floorboards from the reclamation yard will they be a reasonable colour match when sanded or should I try and take some up from another room which will be carpeted (this is a bit of a pain as they are nailed solidly and get damaged when lifting)? I'm not sure yet whether to oil/wax/varnish the sanded floorboards.

Reply to
jgkgolf

If you buy from a reclamation yard, I think after sanding the wood ma

well be a different color. Varnishing will probably make all the woo the same color.

Perhaps you colud take floorboards up from another room by hammerin the existing nails right through the board then just slide th tongue/groove out

-- MGreen

Reply to
MGreen

The best way to match is to use boards from the same house.

If you run a circular saw down the toungs and accross the boards at the ends they wont be difficult to lift. If you do 2 boards at a time then you save one of the boards toungs ( the toung in the middle of the 2 boards ). When you replace say 3 damaged boards you will find you need 3 1/4 boards to make it a tight fit. Fill the old redundant nail holes with splinter size off cuts hammerd in with some PVA. Use counter sunk screws on any boards you might need to lift in the future. I'd use varnish, recently I used Acrylic but I believe there is a binary varnish that sets harder, Rustins or something like that.

Reply to
marble

Maybe.

1)

2)

3)

4)

OK.

6)

1) 2) 3) 4) 5) 6): *WHAT*? No way.
Reply to
Chris Bacon

The blade height should be set at the thickness of the boards.

Yes way, it works fine! Go on, whats your alternative?

Reply to
marble

Ah I remember you! I bet you think they should use ( chuckle chuckle ) papier mache to repair their floor.

ROFLMA as they say.

Reply to
marble

My memory of you obviously isn't as good as your memory of me.

Mind those splinters up your arse.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Yea right LOL

Trust Papier Mache Boy to change the subject to arses.

Hey Chris, when I trashed your idiotic idea about using papier mache in building work I was just warning the OP not to do anything so stupid as follow any advise off you, I wasnt bitch slapping you however it must have felt, get over it! It never occured to me you'd be so devastated you'd want REVENGE.

I had to trawl back through the archives to see what I had done to so hurt you, trust me I hadnt even noticed you were alive until that penny dropped.

You papier mache boys are so sensative, just killfile me and in time it will heal.

Reply to
marble