How easy is it to add another phone point to living room

Hi, I've got one phone point in our living room but would like to add another in the corner for broadband internet access on a computer. I want to do it quite quickly before we lay carpets over the floorboards. Is this something I can do myself (if so how?) or should I get in an electrician? Thanks.

Reply to
jgkgolf

Straight forward - get a kit from Maplin/Dixons/B&Q/Homebase. Detailed wiring info at

Peter Andrews

"Peter Andrews" typed

Make sure the total number of phones 7 ringers for your line does not exceed 4 or the phones may not all ring.

Get an 'extension booster' if needed.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

You can usually exceeed this with modern phones... if you do get a problem then simply turn the ringers off on some of the phones.

Or install a PBX! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

True in general terms, but not really relevant to the OP's wish for an extra socket to connect broadband equipment - with a REN of . err. . ZERO!

Reply to
Set Square

Or you could go wireless - wireless router =A360, wireless card =A330 or so or even bundled free if you look around - its what I did to avoid the same problem..

Reply to
emma

Wired is always better if you can do that. Much less to go wrong.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

"Set Square" typed

True, but IME, once sitting at a computer, you want a(n ordinary talkie landline) phone within arm's reach...

...that way you can keep surfing while you dispose of the DG marketing droid/relative etc and don't have to leave your seat!

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

That was my solution. Now we get deafened when the main house number is called (as opposed to our own personal numbers)...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think REN 4 is probably the maximum guaranteed to work within spec, rather than the real world limit, as I've gone over REN 4 before with no problem. IIRC it was REN6 as a temporary measure.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On 23 Jan 2006 00:47:51 -0800 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote this:-

Good. Far too many people think they can just plug an extension cable into their existing socket and then stretch it across a room or two to the modem. Often they have several adapters in the run too and then wonder why it doesn't run very fast, if it connects at all.

Possibly almost as quick (it depends on your house) is to replace the master socket with a filtered one and separate out filtered and unfiltered extensions, running an unfiltered line to a dedicated socket for your computer. You can even install a box with filtered and unfiltered sockets, which is very useful for plugging in the phone you need beside the computer as well as ADSL. This approach avoids troubles with the domestic authorities, who sometimes object to filters dangling out of every telephone socket that is in use and much prefer the neat appearance of something like that shown at

which also has instructions on the wiring.

Reply to
David Hansen

I've got 9 and two modems on my line and they all ring fine. Not the modems, obviously. 4 was the conservative restriction for old fashioned phones with bells.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

REN 1 is the minimum allowed to be 'quoted'. Many modern phones are more like REN 1/4 in actual terms.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do the modems answer though? I've had situations where a few phones on the line would stop the modem from detecting when the line is ringing

Reply to
Richard Conway

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:32:53 +0000 (GMT),it is alleged that "Dave Plowman (News)" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Yes, also the REN 4 is - IIRC - a worst case scenario (12 miles of 0.5 mm diameter aluminium wire from the exchange, low ringing volts, leakage on the line &c.

Reply to
Chip

Isn't 0 allowed too? Plenty of powered units have REN 0 on them. Is this permitted? Should be!

Reply to
Colum Mylod