Sandblasting

My house has that awful plastic paint "lifetime coating" on it that was popular in the 1980s but which hasn't lasted a lifetime or anything like it. Scraping it off, even with a blowtorch, is going to take months. Has anyone tried DIY sandblasting to get stuff off external walls? Presumably you can hire the kit from HSS or something.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

With any luck it won't be well bonded. The last lot I took off had a nature reserve between it and the wall -ants, wooodlice, you name it. In that the case the procedure appears to have been to apply a weak, sandy mortar to the wall, and to spray the finish on to that. Didn't work at all well, fortunately

Reply to
stuart noble

it will work but get a firm in. You need masks and prefearably filters.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In a previous house we wanted to get rid of very well bonded paint from an internal brick fireplace/chimney breast. We ended up coming up with sandblasting as the only thing that would shift it.

We got people in to do it, and having seen how completetly horrific it was to do I made the right decision. I'm sure it'd be less unpleasant outside though.

Bear in mind that you will end up eating into the bricks (or whatever). On our chimney breast the mortar was significantly harder than the brick so stood proud after sandlasting.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

I think you;ll be needing more oomph that HSS can provide - think truck mounted compressors, air fed helmets, and also scaffolding etc - hate to say it but not a DIY job to my eye - unless you are fit, wealthy, bored & unemployed...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Needed to get rid of the loose paint on our house a couple of summers ago. Considered sandblasting but looking around it would be a large diesel powered compressor and *lots* of sand, would be quite a mess and a lot to clear up. Not to mention the full suit protective clothing, full mask and air supply to breath.

Tried an ordinary pressure washer. That was pretty effective, didn't get it all off but that which remained was well bonded. Overpainted with a slightly diluted Dulux Weathershield Masonary paint followed by two full coats and it's standing up very well to the weather. Still need full water proofs but at least it's not dusty and any drift evaporates. I got proper scaffolding put up which gives you easy access to all the walls, anywhere, all the time, *well* worth the money. I put tarpaulins down under the scaffolding to collect the debris so not much clean up.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have used

in the past. If you can= , it's best to send them a sample. =20

I needed Stripper NB-510, but that contains Methylene Chloride so DIY use i= s not allowed now. He can supply Adhesive Remover 510, but that would only= be any use if you had adhesive to remove (I ignore the possibility that yo= u might chose to break the law).

Similar arguments apply to other Methylene Chloride containing stripper.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

not allowed now.

So how does the law define DIY?

If I want some to strip some paint at home then that is probably fairly obviously DIY.

But if it was for a rental property that I own would that still be DIY?

What about if I was doing a property up to rent?

What about if I was doing a property up to sell?

What about if I was building a new build in my back garden to move into?

What about if I was building a new build in my back garden to sell on?

What about if I was building a new build on a plot elsewhere to sell on?

What about if I was building six new builds on a plot elsewhere to sell on?

Given that there are no qualification _required_ to be a builder at what point does it stop being DIY and start being a professional job?

Reply to
Andrew May