Sale of Incandescent Bulbs to End on Tuesday?

Indeed. Get rid of the 'equivalent' wattage and give actual wattage, VA/mA/PF and lumens.

As for the lifespan: it should be given in hours to 90% - that'd sort 'em out!

Reply to
PeterC

Can you not get fold-up suitcases?

Reply to
Tim Jackson

No, I don't think I've said anything about that.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

You will need to buy dimmer compatible bulbs which are "apparently" very expensive, on the other hand the truck drivers coming to UK from outside the EU will do a good trade bringing the 100w ones in

Reply to
Richard Bird

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Cynic saying something like:

'Course it snot ridiculous - it was in Bugs Bunny. I seen it wiv me own eyes.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It does save all that faffing about chatting to her and buying her drinks etc and saves her having to try and fake an orgasm.

Stick it in the d-i-y FAQ for reference.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth" saying something like:

Duct tape. Oh, wait, that's hamsters.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You will need to buy dimmer compatible bulbs which are "apparently" very expensive, on the other hand the truck drivers coming to UK from outside the EU will do a good trade bringing the 100w ones in

Reply to
Richard Bird

Decorative lamps aren`t hard to find, but they`re not cheap

amusing ly

GLS dimmer friendly replacements, including frosties, Halogena are one example widely available, B&Q stock some of them

on a dimmer which will soft start them, would expect to see at least the 2000 rated hours.

Some people who really dont like CFLs

AA

Oh yes, same place as dehydrated water.

Reply to
PeterC

What's that to do with shagging hamsters?

Reply to
IanAl

Don't buy the "Dessico" brand. The packaging is so difficult to open most of it spilt on the counter and the floor. I added the teaspoon full of tap water as advised to a bowlful of "Dessico" and all I had in the bowl was ... a teaspoon of water.

On the other hand when the dog comes in from the back garden when it's raining and shakes himself, we need wellies in the kitchen.

Reply to
Clot

Caravan, IIRC. Daffy Duck and Pluto on hols.

Reply to
Esra Sdrawkcab

A plot from a Dr Who annual.

Reply to
Esra Sdrawkcab

Someone in the lighting industry who didn't want to appear on here mailed me after this to say the EU has already agreed to the industry's request to have the power rating removed from all CFLs from September next year at point of sale.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

When we buy one, how will we know how bright it will be?

Reply to
Tim Jackson

Just found this:

this bit:
says carton must state: Nominal Luminus Flux (2x size of W) Nominal Luminus Flux would be the lumen value, but I don't understand what the bit in brackets means. (Only thing I can guess is it must be printed in twice the size of the Watts value, but Watts won't be given at all, so that makes no sense.)

Looks like the power rating accurate to 0.1W will have to be provided on the manufacturer's website. Good luck finding that for all the no-name chinese imports!

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Been asleep for the past 5 years have you?

Sorry, I'm not looking for a date ATM.

Reply to
Cynic

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember AA saying something like:

posts, containing flashing lights to the Epilepsy Foundation?s web site, by malicious hackers. They caused migraines and seizures."

Bastards! Funny, though.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Bit longer than 5 years actually, Professor Shuji Nakamura first developed phosphor white LED in mid nineties.

Would suggest looking at thread on sci.engr.lighting entiltled

"Why is LED lighting disappearing?"

Not happy reading for us honest LED heads.

Adam

Reply to
AA