Safe working

My neighbours are having windows replaced today (decent local firm) just looked across and they have a ladder with a stand-off, and have tied the ladder onto ....

v v v v v v v v

A 22m copper gas pipe going up to the boiler in the loft!

Reply to
Andy Burns

<snip>

Whilst not 'recommended' ... could it depend on how well the pipe was clipped to the wall (and unknown ITRW of course, even if there are what looks like strong clips at regular intervals) and how close the tie was to one of them (so less chance of bending the pipe should it actually get used).

22mm copper pipe is quite strong, as anyone who has tried to bend some round their knee with a bending spring will attest.

I'm not sure what the alternatives would be? Have them drill a hole in your wall to fit a better anchor?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Nearly 10 years ago, we paid (went halves with the neighbour) to have two pretty hefty willow trees removed. The outfit that did it had harnesses, full face (like welders) protection, and stopped a few times to clean out the chainsaw.

A few months later the house across the road had a tree lopped, and the man+dog operation were up and down ladders, no harness, no face protection (just goggles) and swinging the chainsaw around like a cheerleaders baton.

Sometimes you just can't watch.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

A neighbour of mine, after having been ripped off by itinerants (they had invented a story that there had been complaints, and he had to let them do the work) who left him with unbelievably mangled eyesores of trees, plus all the trimmings for him to dispose of, apparently went with a garden landscape firm to clear the lot, and give the plot a bit of a makeover.

They had a reasonably large conifer to bring down, without room to drop it in one. I saw no goggles, ear defenders, or safety clothing in evidence whilst using a chain saw. An extended sectional ladder rested against the tree, but wasn't secured to it. There was some form of primitive personal safety loop, but it was only clipped to the ladder, the top rung of which rested insecurely against the curve of the trunk.

As they worked down from the top, the chain saw was deployed at about head height but, having no goggles, the operator was showered with sawdust and had to look away from the cut. Meanwhile the second man had to leave his position footing the ladder to heave on the rope hoping to persuade the section to fall the right way. Occasionally he was successful.

To my surprise they survived, but that is simply not the way to do it. At almost every stage they progressed in such a tentative way, that it seemed to me that they were way out of their depth.

Had I not been recuperating after a minor op at the time, I would probably have tried to intervene.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Oh dear, the next thing will be a leak and a plumber will call, he will no doubt do something to some other vital part of the infrastructure, still the days are lengthening. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)