Help! my goodman central air quit working today:(

its about 10 years old, and in all that time it worked flawlessely.

Today I found the house very hot. the external compressor wasnt running but making a wierd sound, the fan on top not turning. i pulled the power disconnect but it still made the same sound

the in the house blower was running but no cool

my wife has severe asthma, with breathing problems.

any ideas of what might be wrong?

Reply to
bob haller

I had same problem first time I turned mine on but it was just a broken wire from the thermostat not sending signal and it sounds like something is wrong with your compressor.

We have whole HVAC system on service contract although this time of year it might take a day or two to get out tech.

To be on the safe side I ran to Lowes and got a portable unit so at least I can keep bedroom cool.

I've heard of an unscrupulous outfit around here that offers round the clock service at same price but is trained to tell homeowner that an expensive replacement is necessary. You have to watch out for these.

Reply to
Frank

The weird sound may just be the contactor (relay). Is there voltage at the contactor on the house side? Contactor closed, voltage on the load side? Breaker been checked, recycled? What happens after it's off for an hour, then you try to start it? Could be something simple like a bad cap for the compressor or fan or it could be toast.

Reply to
trader_4