Safe!

Any suggestions on moving safes or is it best left to the professional, if so anyone recommend someone in scotland. We have 5 of the things to move :-(

Cyril

Reply to
Cyril Bonnett

I think "George Reynolds", has turned to being football chairman now? ;-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Err, no - he's in gaol...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

All depends on the size, the complexity and especially on the floor surface.

If they're on concrete and you're not moving them far, then an engine crane and suitable strops will move something up to 3'-4' high without too much trouble. If they're on a less even surface, then you might need to lay down plywood and shim around door thresholds etc. If they're

6' high media safes, then have a professional deal with it. You can also use a palanquin pole with a couple of hefty rugger buggers under it. 200lbs of safe is still easily shifted by simple shoulder power, but watch the strops don't slip.

If the lock is complex and especially if it has a glass relocker plate, be _very_ careful about moving it. Don't bang it. Move it with the door open and wedged / strapped in place, not just unlocked. If the relocker should happen to fire, it's a lot cheaper to fix if it does it with the door open. After installing and shimming to level them up, check that the locks / combination are correctly set and working right before closing the doors - especially for combination locks they're easily knocked in transit.

Some safe have doors that are easily lifted off for shipping. Make use of this if you can.

I find my huge roll of 2" velcro to be invaluable as non-sticky gaffer for holding strops and doors etc in place during moves like this.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Slightly OT, but some interesting links

Newshound

we used cricket stumps for a room-to-room move once - keep at least 6 under it at all times and it just flows along. wouldn't work so well on stairs though.... ;o)

Reply to
Steve Walker

Nothing to do with safes, this time. More like laundry.

Reply to
<me9

Rollers, hefty planks to get them over/down any obstructions, hefty rope to lower down any big obstructions, and hefty assistants to take the strain.

Reply to
Rob Morley