Rules re electric shutters?

Hi All,

A while ago a mate had external electric shutters fitted to his shop and the up / down switches are on the wall just inside each window / door.

He mentioned he might see if he can can get the switches moved to a central point (maybe in a locked cabinet) so that control of the shutters would be more secure?

The windows also have internal bars but they could be unlocked and opened reasonably quickly.

I was wondering what the safety implications were if he should do so re emergency fire exits etc?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

T i m said the following on 09/01/2006 18:54:

Weeell, at the "risk" of seeming glib, your mate would need to conduct a health and safety risk assessment ...which might go something along the lines of: -

"The first thing we do when we get in in the morning is open the shutters and the last thing we do before we go home is close the shutters, so the lack of accessibility of the shutter controls is not a problem because the situation where someone desperately needed to get out when the shutters were locked would never arise"

OTOH, if he (your mate) or someone else lives above the shop and might need to get out in the middle of the night because of a fire, it's a different situation altogether...

Reply to
Rumble

But an arsonist might get trapped in there. Then his family might sue for loss of earnings.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Ah, ok, and who would he get to do this please?

..which might go something along the

I think that's about the bones of it?

Well he does but there is not shared access / exits etc so shouldn't be an issue either (in fact I don't know how the get up there!) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

And why do I believe that they would win compensation .. .

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

What sort of annual salary would an arsonist expect nowadays?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I expect most of them are self-employed. They probably have a sliding scale of charges for number of points of ignition, type of accelerant, etc.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Well they'd have to show how much s/he'd been earning at the job from previus years' tax returns or a statement from his/her accountant. However if s/he were a member of the Guild of Arsonists they might provide legal or financial help with the claim.

Reply to
John Stumbles

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) saying something like:

." writes: