RS-260 Ideal Boiler Problem

Hi All I have a Ideal RS-260 Boiler, the problem is it keeps going out. When working it heats both Central heating and Water perfectly. However it seems that the pilot light goes out and hence no heating or water. When it does go out there is a large click of a noise and the pilot light has gone. It will restart without problems and work may be for a day maybe for a week ? There does not seem to be any air in the rads and the 2 3-way valves seem to operate as they should. I have noticed that the casing of the boiler is very hot to touch and maybe it is overheating ?

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Taylor

This is an older boiler and it might not even have an over heat cut out. If it does this will be either as a connector under the thermocouple connection on the gas valve or as a pair of connection on the thermocouple wire itself.

Since one of the possible causes for a very hot casing is a (partially) blocked heat exchanger. I suggest you get someone in to look at it as it may actually be in a less than safe enough condition to use. Although it might just simply need a new thermocouple.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

You have a very simple boiler with a cast iron heat exchanger. As Ed says the problem may simply be the thermocouple or a dirty pilot injector/burner. Is the pilot flame healthy (a clean blue flame about 25mm long which envelops the tip of the thermocouple). Parts available from HRPC in your locality. Try the simple "cures" first before geting into more obscure possible causes.

Reply to
John

Hi thanks for input flame is ok when it is working ok. I have taken org advice and having a engineer to come and service look at unit. Thanks again Mark.

Reply to
Mark Taylor