Routering a kitchen worktop

Anyone know where a typical kitchen router pack contains 4 bits:

2 x Straight 12.7 x 50mm (½" shank) 1 x Straight 12.7 x 60mm (½" shank) 1 x Flush Trim 12.7 x 25.4mm (¼" shank)

I was of the thinking that you only need a single straight 12.7 x 50m (½" shank) bit to do all the work?

Am I right or is there a sequence you should follow using all (well a least 3) of the bits to achieve the best cut

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

If you're talking about creating a mason's mitre, rough out with a jigsaw to within 3 or 4mm of the routered cut, then use either the 50 or 60mm straight bit depending on the thickness of your worktop, routers tend to wander when called upon to cut material that surrounds the bit, the less you have to router away, the better the finish will be. The flush trim bit is for the laminate edging strips (tip: apply masking tape to the surface the bearing will run on) and should ideally be used in a trimmer. The 50mm straights are supplied in pairs in fitter's kits because they tend to wear out more quickly, being the most commonly used bit.

Reply to
deadlock

Cheers for that. I new there was a simple reason

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy