Router recommendation

TBH, now that I know what circumstance causes the sticking (thanks for the analysis!) , I've modified my behaviour so that it doesn't happen any more. It's fairly intuitive fortunately because it involves plunging by applying pressure with the same hand that I release the plunge lock with.

Agree with you that it shouldn't happen for this level of tool (and whatever the rest of their products are like, I still reckon that DW make decent routers).

Will contact tech dept and see what they say....

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Isn't it strange that we measure our wood and materials in mm and metres, and yet we can't figure out how to make the switch from imperial chucks/collets to decimal?

PoP

Reply to
PoP

It begs the question: why bother? it is not like a metric cutter will do the job any better. Also remember that lots of router and cutter makers want to sell into the US market, so metric is not going to help them there.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, but my new fangled metric tape measure doesn't measure materials any better than my trusty imperial tape measure either ;)

I'm slowly moving over to metric measurement. It isn't unusual for me to say to someone "that will require about an inch of material", and then happily measure and cut 25mm......or vice-versa.

I can visualise 1/8th of an inch a lot better than I can 3mm.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

I know that feeling! I picked up some nice folding rules this week, Stabila ones branded samson ag as freebies, metric only 2 M long when opened, the guy from Samson saw then in a catalog and thought they were 300mm fold in half to pocket size...He had 500 to give away, but as they are so big only had a few with him, mores the pity.

Reply to
sue.fagan

Must admit I am much the same. Doing calculations is much simpler I find with SI units and hence metric mesures, but there are many things I find hard to visualise in metric.

I am quiet happy designing and marking out woodwork in metric, although I still tend to think in terms of a 2" x 3" rather than 50x75 when talking about stock sizes, and "half inch" or "three quater inch" board thicknesses are a much simpler concept than 12.7mm or 19mm I find.

For smaller mesures (i.e under 1/4") I find mm is actually easier for me to work with... but I much perfer being 6'3" than 190cm - and as for weight - its pretty bad in stone or kgs! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Commonly used phrases when we're positioning things at work go along the lines of "back to me half an inch, too far, take it back a couple of mil". Sounds confusing but it works in practice.

Reply to
James Hart